HSL Seed List 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSL Seed List 2021

After a year that has simultaneously felt both excruciatingly long yet over in the blink of an eye, the consistencies found in the pastime of gardening have been very welcome, including the opening of the HSL catalogue. These are my picks this time around - including a couple of veg with which I'm not intimate or very fortunate - my theme for the new year being persistence and hope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hslselections2021.jpg Views:	12 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	13478
    Last edited by triffid; 02-12-2020, 17:42. Reason: spelling

Mine were :
    * Afghan Purple carrot
    * Darby Striped Red/Green tomato
    * Darby Striped Red/Yellow tomato
    * Magnum Bonum pea
    * Mummy's Pea
    * Rainbow Sweet Inca corn

I'm wondering whether Swede is one of the crops you've not been fortunate with. If so, my experience is similar. I ended up with one plant this year which then got devoured by something . I wish you luck with Gul Svensk.
    I think my corm growing is out of hand but I couldn't resist this one. Some might need to go into the freezer for now.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Triffid, Mummy is not a crown pea. The umbellate crown pea is 'Mummy White' Except that is not a crown pea as we know it either. Mummy White is intriguing, because it is an ordinary tall pea but has 5 to 7 flowers out of every node. Overall still not more flowers than most pea varieties, but it does not just have the top tuft, it has several smaller tufts all the way up.
      https://www.angelfire.com/az/garethk...ollection.html
      Last edited by Galina; 03-12-2020, 08:38.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      That fits. I imagine HSL would have mentioned it if Mummy was fasciated. Yet another Mummy pea. Freer's Mummy, Mummy White, Mummy .......

You've grown Mummy White by the sound of it, Galina?

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah I see, thanks for the info. Mummy White sounds like a really cool type with those tufts.
      Is the "Mummy's Pea" wrinkled Jang?

French bean Bonne Bouche
    Lettuce Amish Deer Tongue
    Lettuce Bunyard's Matchless
    Squash Queensland Blue
    Swede Kelper Gigantic
    Brussels Sprout Catskill
    I was intrigued by the Angel bean with the orange flowers Triffid. The only time I have seen orange flowers in a French bean was when I had a cross in the garden. Normally the Angel or Monstrance type beans have white flowers.

I had Bonne Bouche but lost them. They were grown to be seed renewed after 5 years, which is normally plenty of time for excellent germination, beans usually go to 8 or 9 years for me, but not Bonne Bouche. I managed to get one to germinate this year, but then that plant died. There is a lesson here. Queensland Blue I simply failed to hand pollinate. Hope I get these to produce seeds for me.

I am also a bit ham fisted with swede and not ready to give up. Lettuces of course are always favourites here. I think the Brussels were an impulse, as I regret not having any in the garden this year and Christmas is approaching, so dinner will not all be homegrown vegetables. I was tempted by the the glorious colour of Cantalun melon, but having got Petite Gris de Rennes and Collective Farm Woman to work for me, I really do not need another so I stayed strong, unlike with the lettuces

Good to compare seed orders. Here is to some great new varieties.
    Last edited by Galina; 02-12-2020, 06:05.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      I was also tempted by the Amish Deer Tongue. When do you usually sow your lettuces? I assume it would be several times a year.

The weird reddish orange flowers is why I chose Angel honestly, remembering your previous comments regarding French x runner beans. Very interested to see how they turn out.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Mainly two sowings, the early one from late January or early February indoors. Transplanting is a bit staggered which gives some continuity. So does growing different varieties. Anything loose leaf can be picked shortly after planting out, a few leaves at a time. The second lot when I think about it, definitely after the big rush of May activities. This year my taking off seed heads was at times a bit erratic, resulting in a third self sown small crop. Haven't had a big seed save from lettuce this year, but in previous years when I had a lot, I winnowed into the greenhouse as there are always a few seeds lost in winnowing, and if those fall on the ground in the greenhouse, they germinate very late in the year for winter use or very early in spring.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I also find a September sowing is very useful for overwintering under cover if you have enough cover. Harvesting quite plentiful leaves from September sown lettuces now. Have a little project to see which varieties best overwinter this year, so in fact have far more than we need, in the interests of experimentation.

Yes, the orange flowers on Angel beans are intriguing. I’m regretting having missed that. With my rather worrying experience with beans this season I skipped resolutely over the French bean section.

I hope the Catskill sprouts do well for you. I’ve had that variety in the past and not succeeded very well and had nearly given up on open pollinated Brussel sprouts. Seasons vary so much though for sprouts, and this year they have done very well generally. And the star of the bunch has been the open pollinated Groninger which came very early and provided good firm sprouts. So I think my experience before was just part of the variation Brussel sprouts are subject to.

Is your 8-9 years for frozen bean seeds, Galina?

Comment

No, stored cool and dry, out of direct heat and sunlight. Frozen beans go on for decades.

Thanks Jan, I do hope they will do well. Also made a note of Groninger, a variety I must look up.
      Last edited by Galina; 02-12-2020, 22:33.

Comment

My selection arrived on Saturday, quick turnaround. The Angel beans aren't large, but for some reason I expected them to be smaller. Pretty hilum pattern. I hope the taste lives up to the appearance.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine sent on 3rd but not arrived yet.☹️
      Working...
      X