2015 Want to grow list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Want to grow list

I thought I'd try keeping lists here, I always seem to note my want to grow list on a scrap of paper then lose it!
    It'll be a work in progress, bound to change my mind loads of times.

Tomatoes. Cherries mostly for the greenhouse and all tried and tested favourites

Ambrosia Gold
    Black Opal
    Blushing Casady F1
    Florididty F1
    Green Pear
    Medovaya Kaplya
    Rosella
    Suncherry Premium F1
    Sungold F1
    Sweet Aperitif
    Tigris F1
    New -
    Sungrape F1
    Last edited by jayb; 19-01-2015, 19:28. Reason: Added Sungrape

Potatoes Mostly from saved seed

Earlies
    Belana?
    Elisabeth
    Pentland Javelin

Second Early
    Piccolo Star
    Charlotte

Mains
    Bintje
    Blue Belle
    Pink Belle
    Hot Dog
    Snookie

L. Blight resistant
    Carolus
    Sárpo Mira
    Palest Pink Eye (from Tollocan Fiesta TPS)
    Kifli?
    Last edited by jayb; 15-02-2015, 14:06. Reason: Added Bintje

Comment

Climbing French Beans;

Anasazi - delicious small shelling bean
      Armenian - large Kidney type
      Bosnian - green flat pod and shellies
      Jembo Polish, large podded and seeded, great for green beans and shellies.
      Monstrance - green, whole lumpy and shelling.
      Succotash - shelling
      Last edited by jayb; 25-11-2014, 08:11. Reason: Added Jembo Polish

Comment

Still so busy with this year's seeds. just harvested a good, late season lot of summer veg. However, it will be great to grow lots of peas. I think I have identified about 15 different experimental groups of peas that I want to grow. This will be every bit as exciting as this year.

Comment

Look forward to hearing more about your pea varieties
          I've started logging the crosses from this year and the different generations from previous ones, I'm going to have to get more choosy!
          Trouble is I've already started thinking about crosses I want to make next year!

Comment

Dwarf French beans, so far for next year I'd like to grow
            Red Swan - red snap
            Trofero - green fillet
            Norbert - large kidney type
            Purple Queen or Purple Teepee
            Last edited by jayb; 25-11-2014, 08:13. Reason: Added variety

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
              Look forward to hearing more about your pea varieties
              I've started logging the crosses from this year and the different generations from previous ones, I'm going to have to get more choosy!
              Trouble is I've already started thinking about crosses I want to make next year!

Depends really what you wanted from each cross in the first place. And there is never anything lost, if you label lines you don't want to continue with at the moment and put the seeds in the freezer. They can then be easily found again, but you have a 20+ years 'window of opportunity' to follow something up, or not.

Comment

Some things are really just to see because I don't know what the outcome will be, others have a clearer goal, but it seems I have some similar type crosses which will be hard to decide on. Yes freezing and saving might be the way to go, but generally I haven't been doing that because I love looking through the different packets, especially beans and peas as they are more touchy feely sorts!

Comment

Red Swan is famous as the first red bean. And has caused just about as much excitement as Rebsie's red pea. Here is some info:
                  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...2020790.html?4

I know that several people are interplanting purple and yellow podded beans, hoping for a red pod showing up through accidental bee pollination, along the same genetic lines as creating a red pea. But the breeder of Red Swan used a 'pinto' which could have been anything, but probably green podded.

I have problems with short beans, not suitable for here because of the vole problem (I can't grow short varieties easily, they don't grow out of the protective bottle cloches easily and if the bottles are too short, then mice get to the plants above the bottle neck anyway). Therefore I have never obtained seeds for this variety. But I'm just as fascinated by it and would love to follow your progress, Jayb, if you do grow them in 2015.

Comment

My 'what do I want to grow' list always starts off with 'what seed do I want to renew', then 'what favourites do we really want to have' and what 'new-to-me seeds'. Then the rude awakening ' what can I realistically fit into the growing space'.

I have databases for cucurbits, salading, tomatoes and beans and peas. One column tells me when I last saved seeds. From that it is obvious when something needs to be grown again. However I have put seeds in the freezer to 'suspend' some varieties for a while too, to rediscover at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                      Red Swan is famous as the first red bean. And has caused just about as much excitement as Rebsie's red pea. Here is some info:
                      http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...2020790.html?4

I know that several people are interplanting purple and yellow podded beans, hoping for a red pod showing up through accidental bee pollination, along the same genetic lines as creating a red pea. But the breeder of Red Swan used a 'pinto' which could have been anything, but probably green podded.

I have problems with short beans, not suitable for here because of the vole problem (I can't grow short varieties easily, they don't grow out of the protective bottle cloches easily and if the bottles are too short, then mice get to the plants above the bottle neck anyway). Therefore I have never obtained seeds for this variety. But I'm just as fascinated by it and would love to follow your progress, Jayb, if you do grow them in 2015.

Those pesky 'things' are often more than plain pesky!
                      What a shame you can't grow dwarf beans and these really are a delightful bean to grow, both to look at and eat. What about some in a tub or hanging basket?

I've been starting off beans in roottrainers suspended on planks from the polytunnel frame to keep them safe, luckily the mice here seem to loose interest in them once they get past a certain size and it is normally ok to plant them out then, though still some nibbling. Peas are not so lucky and garlic spray or not they are devastating!

I had hoped this year to make some crosses with a climbing red bean in mild, but I had a bit of a hiccup and by the time I was up for it, it was a little too late in the season to try. A project for next year perhaps. I know even less about bean genes than peas, but red podded and pink seeded is sounding attractive to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                        My 'what do I want to grow' list always starts off with 'what seed do I want to renew', then 'what favourites do we really want to have' and what 'new-to-me seeds'. Then the rude awakening ' what can I realistically fit into the growing space'.

I have databases for cucurbits, salading, tomatoes and beans and peas. One column tells me when I last saved seeds. From that it is obvious when something needs to be grown again. However I have put seeds in the freezer to 'suspend' some varieties for a while too, to rediscover at a later date.

I'm being far more hap hazard and starting with my really, really want to grow or big favourites. Some things too are because I want to dabble with pollen swapping
                        It's months away before I panic about space and cut them down to size.

I've quite a few peas and beans I'd really like to be growing out for seed next year. Good idea to have a date for seed saved. I need to update lots of things.

Comment

Runner Beans

Polytunnel
                          Any Red Rum and Firestorm that overwinter, plus Red Rum to fill in any spaces.
                          Possibly sow a couple of Tenderstar or Moonlight to try too

Outside
                          Ceredigion
                          Stenner
                          Black Pod

Comment

• Galina
                            Galina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            How do you keep runnerbeans producing in a Polytunnel? I have tried it once for an early crop,from overwintered (indoors) roots. And the yield was quite simply pathetic. Maybe I did not water enough, there were tomatoes in the same greenhouse. What is the trick here please?

• jayb
                            jayb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Umm, not sure really, but they do best in the bigger polytunnel - so space and headroom might have something to do with it. They get a good mulch once temps start to warm to keep the roots cool and save moisture. The aim really is earlier and later cropping, if they drop off mid summer because it's too warm it's not really an issue as the outdoor ones are normally in full swing. Red Rum do well inside, an early cropper too, Firestorm did well the last two years but aren't as tasty.

Chilli seeds.
                          So far I'm thinking;
                          Aji Fantasy
                          Caldero F5?
                          Lemon Drop
                          Piri Piri (for my Mum)
                          Trepadeira Werner
                          Last edited by jayb; 14-02-2015, 07:37.

Comment

• Galina
                            Galina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The Finnish Aji Fantasy is a development of Lemon Drop. Nice one to have both varieties in the same seed circle. As I understand Lemon Drop is fiery, but Fantasy is not.

I love the look of Trepadeira Werner, little pointy cherries, starting off white.

What's Caldero F5?

• jayb
                            jayb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes Trepadeira Werner do look good, I'm looking forward to trying them. No Aji Fantasy is really quite mild, beautiful coloured fruits though, I didn't know it was bred from Lemon Drop.
                            Caldero F5 is a grow out of Caldero F1. I liked Caldero when I grew it, compact plants which are very easy to grow in the greenhouse in pots, it's early, with lovely looking fruits and they are not very hot for me, taste is fair to good.

I've been busy sorting seeds out in preparation for sowing, so a few more short-lists.
                          Aubergine;
                          Diamond (old seed)
                          Farmers Long F1
                          Lavender Frog Egg
                          Ma-Zu Purple Chinese

Comment

• Galina
                            Galina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            How long do aubergine seeds keep in your experience, Jayb?

• jayb
                            jayb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I find they are usually good for 5-7 years, although germination is about 50-50, they do start getting a bit weaker springing into life and stuck helmets can be more of a problem. Diamond above are from Real seeds, so should have been fairly fresh at the time, I think 2007. A few germinated last year, I meant to save seed but didn't get organised!
                        Working...
                        X