• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSL Seed List 2022

Selections this year:

Striped Bunch French bean
    Salford Black runner bean
    Webbs' Kinver Globe cabbage
    And the peas Epicure, Table Talk, and Uncle Fred's.

Hugh's Huge was my 1st choice of pea but it was out of stock already, one day in! Fingers crossed it's available again next year.

Was quite interested in the 'bomb' cabbages they have but thought it best to go with one described as early & compact, considering space is going to be tight next year. I chose more beans because I'm clearly insane.

Ten runner bean varieties to choose from this time around. Hope you all find something that piques your interest
    https://hsl.gardenorganic.org.uk/seedlist

Still deliberating but from what you say it would be a good idea to get my skates on!

Comment

Nice choices Triffid. Be careful with Striped Bunch, as this bean is very susceptible to crossing. However the crosses I got were quite similar in type but not in looks, to the original. Checking stocks of Hugh's Huge for you. Next time in UK there will be an envelope for you with a few items. Seed insanity fully understood.
      Last edited by Galina; 03-12-2021, 06:21.

Comment

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        Galina, thank you immensely.
        Is Striped Bunch a pollen donor or recipient in these crosses?

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Recipient. Slightly different flower structure that allows more easily for strange pollen to do the pollination.

Decision made at last. Interesting that Hugh’s Huge disappeared so quickly as, although I’ve been rather slow off the mark, it still seems to be the only variety that’s unavailable.

Choice made at last. Very enjoyable process but difficult towards the end to eliminate a few!

: Click image for larger version  Name:	0FE30132-0B14-4B49-A48F-88DEA826276B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	16183

Comment

Yes, there seems to be a little uncertainty around the names Extra-Hâtif and Juillet, including Blanc de Juillet (although that is distinguished from Extra-Hâtif in the site you cite), and Vilmorin-Andrieux’s Haricot à Rames Extra-Hâtif (https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...rieux_1904.png)
      There is reference in a couple of places to its being acquired from a French market stall in 1954. I’m imagining the name was given subsequently when its growing qualities were discovered, rather than the purchaser having bought it as a previously named variety, but I haven’t found any reference to its history before 1954.

Comment

Yes, I have! I'm a little slow putting in my request, done this morning but better than last year (when I didn't put one in)

* Dewing's Early Blood Turnip
        * Bob and Mary
        * Extra Hatif de Juillet
        * Turkey Craw
        * Hugh's Huge
        * Blackpod

New;
        Bob and Mary, I'm not very fond of white seeded beans but these sound like an eat all type and thought they sounded delightful.
        I'm not sure if I've grown these before but Extra Hatif de Juillet took my fancy.

Returns;
        Not the first time I've chosen this beetroot but as the ones I'd grown and saved to seed this year are a mix of Dewing's EBT and Early Blood Turnip, I thought I'd have another go. I think likely the two varieties are very similar and I'm looking forward to growing both out, and if possible hope to save seed from Dewing's.

Blackpod, I had a good crop of beans this year from my one plant, hope adding a few more will add to the diversity, although maybe not quite such a diverse result as yours this Jang :0

Hughs Huge lovely pea, my saved seeds are likely too old.

Turkey Craw, again aged seed stock

Comment

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks jayb, but I can wait

I personally thought Blackpod was quite delicious, so I hope you get your feast next season.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to the Blackpod, especially after your recommendation, Triffid. And interested to compare, as others have, with Aeron Purple Star.

Thanks for your kindness Jayb, but I can also be patient (sometimes!)

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          All good then I was feeling a little guilty being able to select them when you hadn't.

They've arrived. I was enticed by Salford Black as the description claims it has purple pods, but I see now that it also has black seeds, which is fun. A quick search shows the pods are no where near as intensely coloured as Blackpod, though this may be down to growing conditions. There are very few hits, just a couple of photos from a blog in 2011.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Black seeds and purple pods indeed enticing. Looking forward to hearing how it grows.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't remember Salford Black having purple pods (perhaps I picked them too soon) I had assumed the name was from the seed colour, so interesting to read HSL description. It'll be interesting to know how they do for you.

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          I do agree with that assumption, jayb. Based on the photo I've seen, the pods have only a faint, washed-out purple coating. It's possible the pigmentation is rather weather dependent.
      Working...
      X