Planning ahead for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning ahead for 2016

I've sort of short listed the potato varieties I'd like to be growing next year, most will be from saved potatoes, not ideal but other than blight, the biggest potato health problem the last few years has been Blackleg from bought in seed potatoes. Black scurf bubbles up some years too, though I think this can be present in the soil.

I need to whittle it back a bit more as I've also got some selections from this years tps and a couple of volunteers (not listed yet!) I'd like to grow too. I'll only plant one or two tubers of some types, so not as bad as it first looks.

This year I'm going to try and go for some earlier earlies, using the polytunnel and or greenhouse to grow them. I'll perhaps just plant the second earlies outside and maybe sneak in a few first earlies.

Earlies
    Abbot
    Elisabeth (2)
    Pentland Javelin

Seconds
    Athlete (on order) *
    Charlotte
    Nadine

Mains
    Alouette (on order) *
    Bintje (for roasting)
    Bluebelle
    Carolus
    Hot Dog
    Inky Squid
    Kifli
    Mayan Gold (on order)
    Palest Pink Eye
    PFA
    Red Emmalie
    Sarpo Mira
    Snookie
    Violetta

* New to me varieties. These two varieties are reported to have good LB resistance, hopefully both will turn up. There seems to be a lot of new LB 'resistant' varieties coming on the market, which is excellent news if they are indeed survivors. Looking forward to trialling these

If only seed potato suppliers would supply such information as whether they berry prolifically or not, and whether they flower and what colour. But for many of the above you know that information of course. Just thinking aloud That is a lot of potatoes, but who says you can't keep your own healthy for a long time? Some plants will yield better than others and it is a question of selection. They say you need fresh specially selected seed potatoes every year- well my Charlotte was so poor this year, I wish I had bought a packet of food potatoes rather than splashed out for mail ordered seed potatoes. When I bought them previously from Potato Day, they were much better. If any of the Charlottes had produced as much as the Hot Dog and Snookies from you, I'd be well pleased. But they were not a patch on yours, which were not only amateur bred, but also not grown under seed potato conditions. I would not worry about using your own Jayb. Trust your selection.
    Last edited by Galina; 16-11-2015, 16:50.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I've not been on facebook this last week or so. I did notice one for the US. Is someone doing one for Europe/UK?

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      No my mistake, it has now been made very clear (because so many Europeans wanted to join) that it is US only and they are still looking to fill all ten spaces. I am surprised that the interest is so luke warm. So how did Europeans get Kenosha seeds before? How did we get Tom's seeds? And has he given up retailing tps? Not sure why tps are suddenly a big problem when last year they were not.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      What a shame, I thought places would be snapped up. I've never had anything to do with Kenosha before joining the group on facebook, so I don't really know. I don't think Tom has stopped his online store, but it seems it is only open for a limited time during the year.

Glad Hot dog and Snookie shined They harvested well here too despite me taking the haulms off early! The British and European data bases have quite a lot of info and if lucky a picture of flowers, it's quite handy to use the advanced search for some characteristics like berry setters or LB resistance. But the information can be patchy and perhaps some of those listed as having LB resistance shouldn't be as things seem to have moved on.

http://www.europotato.org/search.php
    http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/varieties/advanced_search

Comment

Nothing sown yet, but thought I'd put up my short list of cherry types to choose from for the greenhouse this year-

Amorosa F1 *
      Bite size *
      DWS
      Floridity F1
      Garnet *
      Green Pear
      Lucky Tiger *
      Medovaya Kaplya
      Melzane
      Rosella
      Suncherry F1
      Sungold F1
      Sungrape F1
      Sunrise Bumble *
      Sweet Aperitif
      Tigris F1

Unmarked are previous favourites. * marked ones are new to me types.
      Although I've not been overly impressed with other Artisan varieties, but both Lucky Tiger and Sunrise Bumble Bee get very good reviews? I'm sure they will be pretty, but perhaps a bit mild tasting?
      Green Pear was disappointing last year, I know it can be so much better which is why I thought to grow it again this year. Even so I may swap it for Green Doctors Frosted or Verde Claro, both really good.
      Bite Size and Garnet are from the same breeders as Sweet Aperitif, Rosella, Black Opal. I really like these varieties and they do well here, so I'm looking forward to trying these other British bred ones.

I've gone for a mix of size, shapes, colour and some stripes, most will be on the sweet side.

Update sown 5/3
      Last edited by jayb; 06-03-2016, 09:54. Reason: Added Melzane

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes unfortunately Green Pear did not shine last year. I love green tomatoes, but GP had a 'bit of nothing' about them, even if harvested fully ripe. It did not help that I harvested some over-ripe and they had a bit of an off-flavour. Still good in cooking - had some for breakfast this morning from the freezer with my egg.

Mostly early cordon types although they won't be ultra early as only sown today.They should be ready for planting at the beginning of May.

Bloody Butcher
      Cesu Agrais
      Cuban Black
      Imur Prior Beta
      Kotlas
      Lee’s Sweet
      Matina
      Moskvich
      Stupice
      Urbikany (*sometimes listed as short cordon?)

Comment

I've tried to cut my squash list down a few times, this is as far as I've got and I might be adding something from the Seed Circle, so still a work in progress!

Courgette
        Cavili F1
        Partenon F1
        Zephyr F1
        White Volunteer
        Trieste White Half Long

Squash/pumpkin
        Small,
        1. Gills Golden Pippin
        2. Gold Nugget
        3. Sunshine F1
        4. Amber Cup

1. Anna Swartz
        2. Australian Blue
        3. Baby Blue Hubbard
        4. Blue Kuri
        5. Blue Ballet
        6. Buttercup
        7. Bylinka
        8. Fictor F1
        9. Golden Hubbard
        10. Green Hokkaido
        11. Jarrahdale
        12. Lower Salmon
        13. Olive Verte
        14. Queensland Blue
        15. Red Kuri
        16. Sibley
        17. Silver Bell
        18. Strawberry Crown
        19. Sweet Meat Oregon Homestead
        20. Uchiki Kuri
        21. Uncle David’s Dakota Dessert.
        22. Black futsu
        23. Barbara F1
        24. Sonka
        25. Mix

Comment

Silver Bell - what a lovely name, guess it is bell shaped and light grey? How many acres do you have? I am really envious. We need some really nice summer weather. I am still trying to grow several of my squash varieties out, not much worked last year here.

Comment

I have just been looking at all my pea crosses and which ones to carry on with and it is not an easy task. Can't do every one, but I will concentrate on those that were mostly red from the Shiraz x CEG cross, the very large podded ones - had a yellow pod with red speckles that was quite unusual and high yielding. Pea Emma (the tricoloured one) obviously, then another generation of Charlie's Goldsnap and most definitely the offspring from the fully red sheller. I had a peak preview from the red shelling pea last year very late, when I got a partially red mangetout (probably a semi-mangetout) - I even got some very immature seeds, but full evaluation was not possible. Court Estate Crescent needs taking a generation further too. The pink flowered little Sugarbeth snaps definitely, the beautiful 'new to me' seeds with the 'cr' gene. And Sugar Magnolia with various features. Add to that the 'eating' peas and the 'need a growout' peas and it will be a full pea garden as well.

Several tps and first generation potatoes as well and of course a good planting of Snookie and Hotdog. Had Snookies for dinner two days ago and they are storing so well, as well as being a tasty spud. Wider spacings for them this year!

Can't think of a squash list but several need seed renewal.

Same with tomatoes. Will definitely grow Charlie's Red Staker (not my Charlie but a Canadian tomato). http://prseeds.ca/seed_categories/so...indeterminate/
            I got seeds for these from one of my first ever seed swaps with Mr Ingram from Canada. So pleased to see that these are now also available commercially in Canada. Bred in 1972 it isn't considered a heritage variety and has not got the allure of newly bred varieties either, so could be endangered. We like them very much anyway.

I won't grow my usual broad beans but the landrace mix together with a few of various types I have here to add to the mix. And the same with parsnips. Will give my Dlouhy Bily in the freezer a year off and grow the ones from the seed circle.

Must dash and refit the fleece which has blown off the winter radishes. Could be the coldest night of winter coming up according to the weather forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
              Silver Bell - what a lovely name, guess it is bell shaped and light grey? How many acres do you have? I am really envious. We need some really nice summer weather. I am still trying to grow several of my squash varieties out, not much worked last year here.
              Yes that lovely silver blue-grey colour. They are bred from Blue Banana it says on the packet and harvest at 4lb so a good size for me.
              Lol, I moved my main veggie plot the year before last, some of the new ground is qute rough and overgrown, it will take me a year or two before it is ready to grow crops in. The plot I was using to grow veggies in was just too wet and heavy to get ready in spring. But for the moment I've kept part of that wet bit on, which gave me a lovely big area for squash and it worked really well for them last year. So if I use that spot for say sweet corn, beans and tomatoes plus whatever else I can think of, I can go overboard with squash again this year Once they are in the ground they are not really any work and if I am well I'll do some hand pollinating and waste time wandering up and down looking to see what is setting - or not. If I don't feel so good, they can just get on and do their own thing and hopefully I will still get a worthwhile crop.

Even though it was a pants summer for squash last year, I was very lucky with the crop I ended up with. Having a good summer is a bit of a dreamy state here, it always darn rains!!!

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahh, a bit like what Betty does at Wallsall road allotments with vacant plots (not that they have many). That's what I need - a plot for everything else and a spare plot for squashes. How good is that and if it is a bit moist, so much the better. Just no good for getting it ready for other crops. Hope you'll manage to 'tame' the drier growing space soon.

Admiring squashes is never wasted time - it should be obligatory for everybody as part of garden meditation - brings out a smile here every time.

Your pea list sounds amazing, I can't wait to follow your progress. I've not even started to look at mine yet to decide, I just want to try and grow as many as possible!
              Snookies and Hotdogs are storing great guns here too Hopefully some real keepers amongst the sibling lines too.

I've still got to select parsnips for seed this year, (Gladiator I think F4 of is it 5) must get a move on with them.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't sow parsnips until May or germination is pretty ropey here. I know this is much later than most, but it works out better here.

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't usually sow until later either. But I wanted to select which parsnip roots I'll be planting for seed pretty sharp as I think they will be sprouting any day soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIFLIXPFA5.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	5035

The Hot Dog and Snookie siblings from you are all in small pots and growing in the conservatory. Some had started shooting very early (before I noticed in January - my bad!) and I have a delicate, long shoots problem. But most of them had not and I have very healthy, strong little plants and good roots. Even the ones that had the long shoots are showing good foliage at the end. I'll deal with them by planting into tall yoghurt pots which can be planted out whole eventually. I was checking them over yesterday and what I thought was a huge mistake my end isn't so bad after all. Have also considered rooting the foliage at the end of the long shoots into separate little pots, as there are signs of leaf growth coming from the base of the long shoots as well. If I can detach the long shoots above the leaves at the base and root the top, that should rectify the problem (with an extra spud as a bonus). Luckily there are only 3 in that category, the rest of the little potatoes have grown sturdy short roots and are just developing leaves. Whilst Hot Dog and Snookie themselves are storing in the same conditions without shoots, their siblings don't all have that same trait. Looking at this positively, they might be much earlier harvesting also!

Ps: sorry I added the pictures after posting the message and it went a bit funny, never mind. Just to show that what was initially a very white long shoot on Kifli x PFA 5 is now a healthy looking series of shoots from the base. And the tiny potato has obviously very well rooted. Phew - not the problem I thought it would be. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1243.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	5036
              Last edited by Galina; 07-03-2016, 10:59.

Comment

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                They are looking good, afraid I only got around to potting mine up yesterday. It would be good to get an earlier cropper, it's good to get a glimpse from the mini tubers. Mmm hope they taste good!

Originally posted by jayb View Post
              Your pea list sounds amazing, I can't wait to follow your progress.

You might regret saying that, Jayb . I can get very boring when it comes to peas. But as you have given me plenty of really interesting material too, you probably have yourself to blame

But the feeling is very mutual. We have gained understanding (ok partial understanding and a lot of 'don't understand') and a whole lot of fascinating materials from our crosses. After all Calvin Lamborn's (breeder of Sugar Snap) Yellow Maroon Snap collection (third photo) does not look all that different from what we can produce (and he is making good money selling 'not quite red podded' peas to restaurants).
              http://www.ediblemanhattan.com/foods...s-and-farmers/
              I am really looking forward to yours as well and hope there will be more time/health for you to follow up on your fabulous crosses and flower colours in peas and crown peas.
              Last edited by Galina; 07-03-2016, 11:16.

Comment

I'm very much looking forward to peas too!

This year I get to see my first F2 plants and I'm hoping to get lucky with the colour combinations I want.

Some friends of mine have offered me temporary use of their vegetable garden this year (they have a toddler and are expecting a baby in May and aren't planning to grow anything themselves) so if I feel up to it I'll have some extra room. I'm thinking I'll put in some stuff that doesn't require any real work once it's planted - potatoes, squash, maybe some beans and corn?

Comment

That sounds an excellent offer of space and if there is not much work to be done to get those crops in even better. Low maintenance crops sound the way to go. Well done you.

Comment

I haven't been to see it yet, but as they are only a 10 minute walk from me they have the same horrible clay that I'm plagued with.

On the plus side though they get as much horse manure as they want from the neighbouring field, so if nothing else I can stick squash in hills of manure without bothering to dig!

Comment

Working...
                    X