First little sprouts of 2016 are up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First little sprouts of 2016 are up!

Middle of February I had not sown anything, but now there are pots with seeds everywhere. Leeks, tomatillo, onions, peppers,peas, broad beans, tps,tomatoes, seeds from white potato onions and from Perlzwiebel Minogue are in. And of course about 15 varieties of lettuce! Ok I am a card-carrying lettuce nerd!, And it is the lettuces that won the race and sprouted first, in particular Pink lettuce, which came from a seed swap and I unfortunately cannot remember who to credit for it - all I remember is that the person who added the packet to the swap had bred this lettuce themselves. The second item up today are the last seeds of Cisineros tomatillo. I have taken seeds from the first batch last year (from Jayb), but wanted to use all the original seeds. Don't remember them coming up so fast last year. Really cheers a gardener's heart to see little plants emerging after the dark days of winter.

Such fun, I bet they are coming on in leaps!

Comment

I can't wait myself!

Comment

Oooh - first peppers have sprouted - how are you going with your first seeds?

Comment

And more oooh - the first Picasso tps has sprouted!

Comment

Finally the first seedlings starting to push through, onions, Trebons and Kelsae

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Happy days!

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              How are the Trebons working out?

Yes, but will I ever get them planted!

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Good luck and enormous amounts of strength and stamina for this gardening season are being wished for you!

Tried to search for Tresbon onions without success. French? Canadian?

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Trebons - spell it right and google is your friend. Especially the images.

Thank you

French, try searching Trebons rather than tresbon. One of the French living A4Aers mentioned them and how good they are, which got me interested. They seem very versatile and can be grown year round, plus I love long shaped onions and the flavour sound wonderful. Also I'm not sure if the bulbs split or whether they are referring to them sending up flower spikes.

Comment

I've added a couple of Trebons links here http://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co...%A9bons-onions

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                And more oooh - the first Picasso tps has sprouted!
                How are your Picasso sprouts doing?

Comment

Time moves swiftly, I've potten on my little Aubergines, peppers/chillies, cherry tomatoes. They are all looking quite good so far and I'm hoping these March sowings will work out well time wise. First of the brassicas are up and now out in the polytunnel, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Kohl Rabi, Calabrese, Broccoli and Kale.

Again sown the beginingish of March Sweet Peas, these are growing well.
                  Just poking through are Dwarf French beans, Trofeo, Robert's Royalty and Purple Teepee.
                  Moringa have taken off, wow they are fast growers!

Comment

Lots of tiny thin 1-2 inch Picasso plants. Transplanted, but still in communal pots, Now 'advanced' from the propagator to the conservatory where the light is better. I will harden them up a little more, then pot up individually. Hope they can go to the greenhouse soon after. The micro tubers from you (apart from those that haven't made good foliage yet) are now in the greenhouse. Lots of little pots inside a muck bucket with capillary matting inside,sitting on the greenhouse floor for a little more protection. They are in the greenhouse which is adjacent to the fence which has our neighbour's heated pool behind it. This is the warmest microclimate in the garden (this is the greenhouse where the rocoto plant survived a couple of years ago). Soon they will go on the shelf for final hardening and then get planted fairly deep to hide most of the foliage. I am wondering whether to plant them like leeks - turn out of their pots and into 8 inch holes, then a bit of water on top but don't crush them by filling soil over them. Then cover with fleece. The holes will soon get filled in by themselves and much later when the plants are growing strongly, I will earth them up. Any thoughts? Ditto the Picasso, but with the time delay of growing on.

Comment

Dwarf French beans already? I guess for the poly? Thank you for the reminder. This year I w i l l sow beans much earlier than last year. New seedlings here are butternuts and a moschata from the seed circle Geraumon (sp?). Soon I will start the maxima and the pepo.

I am still so slow with potting up individually, mainly because I have run out of space. I need all the peas off the bench and planted first. Some are planted, but not many. It is a slow process with the weather and will the need to bottle each one. The family with the cats has moved away, I have a feeling it won't be long before we are overrun with voles again.

Most tomatoes and peppers are in bigger communal pots than they were in the propagator and I don't think this checks them much, if at all. Once they can reliably go on the greenhouse staging in their individual little pots, everything gets easier space wise.

Talking about pea seedlings - I have a couple of 2 inch hypertendril plants from Sugar Magnolia, the hypers are just showing but not yet curling if this description makes sense to you - yippie!

Moringas sound fast - happy days.

Do you transplant kohlrabi? At what stage? Must try this.

Comment

I'm behind as usual this year, but I finally sowed tomatoes, TPS and chillies on the 23rd. I saw a few tiny tomato sprouts on the 27th. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                          Lots of tiny thin 1-2 inch Picasso plants. Transplanted, but still in communal pots, Now 'advanced' from the propagator to the conservatory where the light is better. I will harden them up a little more, then pot up individually. Hope they can go to the greenhouse soon after. The micro tubers from you (apart from those that haven't made good foliage yet) are now in the greenhouse. Lots of little pots inside a muck bucket with capillary matting inside,sitting on the greenhouse floor for a little more protection. They are in the greenhouse which is adjacent to the fence which has our neighbour's heated pool behind it. This is the warmest microclimate in the garden (this is the greenhouse where the rocoto plant survived a couple of years ago). Soon they will go on the shelf for final hardening and then get planted fairly deep to hide most of the foliage. I am wondering whether to plant them like leeks - turn out of their pots and into 8 inch holes, then a bit of water on top but don't crush them by filling soil over them. Then cover with fleece. The holes will soon get filled in by themselves and much later when the plants are growing strongly, I will earth them up. Any thoughts? Ditto the Picasso, but with the time delay of growing on.
                          I usually plant potatoes and row up all at the same time, so last year when I was planting out tps and possibly sprouted mini tubers I made a channel into the peaked furrows and then planted deep into the channels. I think the sides gave a little protection to the young plants and it was easy to draw more soil up and fill the channel, until they were the same height as the remainder of the row. Worked for me as I had long rows of potatoes last year, sounds similar to what you are suggesting?

Comment

• Galina
                            Galina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry I never answered due to puter troubles - I think this will mean using one of my giant cloches and covering the lot rather than just fleecing.

• jayb
                            jayb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mine are growing on at an alarming rate, they are going to need planting or potting on before I anticipated!

• jayb
                            jayb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They only big cloches I have are a bit flimsy for outdoors, they are like a lid for a giant seed tray, I'm hoping good for keeping mice out!
                        Working...
                        X