Unusual growth/ development in a chilli seedling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual growth/ development in a chilli seedling

One of my seedlings has emerged from seed with what initially looks like four versus two leaves. The stem is thicker than all its siblings too.

When I look closer, one "pair" of leaves is actually semi-merged. I didn't habve my camera with. Me but will try tomorrow. Not seen this before.

That's a new one on me as well. I have seen tomatoes with 3 cotyledons, but not chilli with four. Looking forward to pictures. I have seen courgettes with double flowers and conjoint fruit, maybe your peppers will be like that.

Comment

It does sound like it is a little quadcot, I've not seen them much with chillies more tps and tomatoes. I'm sure I've some pictures somewhere for you to compare. Sometimes get 3 cotyledon/tricot seedlings too.

Comment

Not the best pic but might show what I mean

Last edited by Hector1; 02-04-2016, 15:47. Reason: Add another pic

Comment

I've flipped them up the right way. It looks like (although it's not quite clear from the picture angle) the one in the first picture on the rhs has three cotyledons. They take a little longer growing in the initial stages but will catch up, the first set of true leaves are usually slower than normal coming through. I don't know why but some years I see several and others none at all. Some varieties do seem to produce them more than others and I would think it's classed as a fault and perhaps don't save seed from a tri/quadcote plant. Sometimes thequadcotes can have two leader and they look much like two internal seeds were formed in the one seed and then grow together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hector1a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5315

Name:	412355806.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	5316
          Last edited by jayb; 03-04-2016, 07:58.

Comment

Here's another tricote, a dwarf tomato this time.

Name:	023-001.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5318

Comment

Tomatoes with three cotyledons usually grow normally, will be interesting to see what your pepper does, Hector, thanks for the photos both.

Comment

Thanks for this folks, really interesting.

Hadn't heard the term quadcot before, so looked it up. I found this discussion and, as you said, sounds like a like I shouldn't save seed from.
                http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/s...d.php?p=982526

It would seem wise to avoid seed saving from any from same packet.

Is it best to sew more of a different variety, do you think? Seems can affect productivity.

Comment

I've been looking at your pictures again, sometimes you get a seedling that grows seed leaves but doesn't always grow any true leaves, I think for a few reasons, it has been damaged at the growing point as it emerges, old seed or just the way the seed is made. I'm wondering if this might be a possibility as there looks to be a little damage to the stem?

I think commercial seed is saved from a good number of plants so other seeds in the packet may not be from the same plant. I don't know productivity is affected by much in the end? I'd continue with them.

Comment

Thanks for that. I have no idea where my phone is to take a better picture. I switched it off as on leave....not my smartest move

Comment

How are your 'odd' chillies coming along, have the leaves sorted themselves out now?

Comment

You must be psychic. Been repotting them this evening I'll take photos at weekend...stem looks " different"!!

Comment

Lol, no I was just noticing some tri-cots in amongst some tomato seedlings just germinating and I was wondering how yours were shaping up

Comment

I have just noticed a tricot in a squash seedling here.

Comment

Working...
                            X