Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning ahead 2017 grow lists

Potatoes
    It seems I haven't grown much other than potatoes this year! Most are still in the ground but I'm already think what I'd like to be planting next year.

Earlies
    Abbot
    Elisabeth
    Pentland Javelin

So far earlies are the same as I grew 2016

Second early
    Charlotte

Late blight tolerant-
    Alouette
    Athlete
    Carolus
    Palest Pink Eye
    Sarpo Mira *

All tried and tested well against Late Blight 2016, I might drop Sarpo Mira as they are my least favourite taste wise.

Mains
    Bikini
    Bintje (for roasting)
    Black Lippy
    Highland Burgundy Red +
    Hot Dog
    Inky Squid *
    Kifli
    Mayan Gold
    PFA
    Red Emmalie
    Snookie
    Violetta
    Vitelotte +

+ for Breeding
    * probably won't make the planting draft

So far the list will be from saved seed.

Would you like a few tubers of PFA x Kifli 6? They were great here, or do you have some too?

Comment

Hi Jayb. I'm very interested in your list of late blight resistant potatoes as I've only come across the Sarpo ones. I grow just Sarpo Mira every year but, like you, don't rate them much for taste.
      Are the others you list readily available and as resistant as Sarpo Mira?

Comment

Hi, Welcome to GFSS , sorry it's taken me a while to reply.

Athlete did very well here last season and the foliage certainly held on a par with Sarpo Mira, though one year is not enough of a test. They are a second early, a bonus with earlier cropping they don't have as long a season to stand up to. From what I remember the tubers were pretty clean when I dug the final lot, Late blight had been rattling around the plot for a while. I was impressed with Athlete and found them a lovely cooking and tasting potato.

A white one I grew from seed, Palest Pink Eye is pretty indestructible on the foliage but occasionally gets a tuber or two infected, but there again so does sarpo Mira. PPE cropping is nowhere in SM's league, but they are a good flavoured potato. I've been growing them for a number of years now and have some True Potato Seed if you would like to try growing some, you won't get an exact clone but overall they are generally a similar type and many should have very good resistance.

Comment

Working...
        X