Sweet Potato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato

First time I've grown sweet potato, As I was lifting the first plant I noticed the stem that was slightly buried had a potato growing. I've seen from previous experience if you bury winter squash stems the root.

That's a lovely purple sweet potato, what is the variety? Yes, I have grown squashes that anchored themselves in several places. Did you get a good harvest on the sweet potato?

Comment

The variety was murasaki. The harvest from one plant that I dug had 3 medium size potato. I'm happy I got something. Got 4 more plants to dig yet.

Comment

How did they do in the end? Three medium sized tubers from one plant sounds a good harvest to me.

Comment

From the other plants got was very small not much of a potato as such. If I grow them next time I would give them more feed plus also bury the stem and water that part as well. I think that way you will get more in theory.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's hope it works out in practice as well. Good luck Clumsy when you grow them again.
            Last edited by Galina; 03-06-2017, 06:31.

Very helpful , thanks.
          Also, were they growing on your plot or in a greenhouse? Sorry I'm asking lots of questions, I'm really interested as you had good results from some and I'm just deciding whether it's too late to root the sprouts from the purple sweet potato I've got? I've had ok but not good results from previously grown ones, but I've never grown purple ones before.

Comment

Ask as many question as you like I don't mind. But it was my first time growing could be beginners luck some might say. They were in the greenhouse in the corner I just put the plants next to each other not much room. I just let them go wild they were next to the cucumber plants.

It's worth an experiment you never know, But personal experience from last year I think sweet potato requires a long growing season but I have to stress I'm no expert it was my first time. Sometimes when I grow something new I do notice small things and make a note for future reference.

Comment

Doesn't sound like beginers luck, more good gardening and your attention to detail. I wish I wrote more notes, I tend to trust things to memory...... with mixed results! Yes they don't start to tuber up until late in the year when the daylight hours are dropping off. I think I'll see how they do and aim to take cuttings in the autumn to overwinter.

Comment

Clumsy...can I ask some questions what size pot did you use?....what height did they get? I habpve been given a 60 litre pot .....was wondering if I can utilise in corner of greenhouse but wondering height/ plant spacing....might not be practicable.

Comment

Hi Hector the plants went straight into the ground. I let it do what it wanted, I wouldn't tie it up a kane it grows very tall or long. Just train it along the floor around other plants and pots, that way when the stem keeps growing you can put a bit of soil round it say every couple of inches it should start to make a root and develop some sweet potato their also (it is a root crop after all I think). The plant is similar to bindweed apart from wrapping itself around anything.

Comment

Ah!, Thanks for that. I cant grow in the ground there but could grow in the bucket and trail the growth....how many could go in a 60 litre one? Its about two foot across.

Comment

I'm not to sure maybe 2 or 3 the most. Really depends on the amount of sweet potato plants you have and space. Alot my stuff gets squashed together as I have too many plants and not enough space.

Comment

Thank you...same here

Comment

My little sprouts!

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	7901

Comment

Working...
                          X