Anybody sowing already for 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody sowing already for 2018?

I sowed some chillies again about a week and they have germinated. The varieties are roumanian giallo,fuego ibrido and piccante guardacielo all are new to me this year.

That good going for just a week. They look good. Need to google all the varieties, but I am not very experienced with chillis apart from the varieties we had in the seed circle. You are certainly expanding my knowledge, Clumsy

Comment

Finally some seedlings of my own to take care off. Tomatoes, peas and broad beans - nothing special, but a start has been made. Now we just need some decent weather to plant the first plants under bottle cloches. Potatoes are chitting nicely too.

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing special I would probably disagree you grow very special and unique varieties. Apart from the chilli's. I did start some tomatoes they have got very leggy and they are only to leaf stage at the moment. I'm also doing an experiment on red cabbages they are also leggy but they should be okay when planting I could bury them deep. Potatoes also chitting nicely, going to plant them in about 2 weeks time. Planning on putting in chickpeas next weekend (sow directly in the ground). Did sow the peas directly in the ground last weekend, but since the it has been raining and turned cold would be interesting to see if they germinate in about 2 more weeks.

update so far. Chilli's are doing well. The tomatoes bit leggy lol. The red cabbages are just a bit of experiment or the anxiety in trying to get the season started.

Comment

Yes leggy is the problem at the moment. The tomatoes were pricked out yesterday and most were put on the windowsill. I thought I was kind to these and left them in the propagator an extra day. Result very leggy! The others on the windowsill don't look too good yet either, but less leggy. The peas in the conservatory have to go out as they are stretching and the broad beans are ready too. Both will go into the cold greenhouse for a few days to harden up. Top right hand side of the pea photo you can see a few hypertendrils, on variety Magnolia Blossom - they develop very early.
        Last edited by Galina; 18-03-2018, 16:24.

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Very impressed by the peas and broad beans well advance. Looks like you'll have early harvest. Tomatoes are similar to mine.

I usually start these mid to late February. And tomatoes should have been started early February, but was nearly mid February this year. Peas and broadies can take a bit of frost and the earlier the peas get in the ground, the better for avoiding maggoty peas later on. Also after the early peas go, then I can put something else in the ground for autumn veggies.

Comment

I agree with sowing peas early. The maggot can be bit off putting when you unpod them after harvesting. Your bit like myself keep using the ground to for other veg after harvest. I do that also with garlic after garlic go in the winter squash and courgettes. But the weather this year is very unpredictable, tomatoes seem to grow quick and problem can be timing them in a unheated greenhouse.

Comment

Yes it has been very cold this year so far. And unpredictable. Tomatoes here go from the propagator to the windowsill, then into the conservatory for weeks to avoid all the taking them to the greenhouse, then fetching them back for the night. I am fortunate to have this halfway growing space of the frost-free conservatory.

We could do with a bit warmer spring temperatures. The kales haven't really picked up yet. Normally we have nice fresh growth on the kales at this time. The peas and broad beans are now on the greenhouse staging hardening off. If I left them on the ground in the greenhouse, they'd soon be demolished by voles, hopefully they are safe where they are. It usually works. Unless we have a warm day and the roof vent opens automatically and a hungry pigeon gets in. That has happened.

I had cucumbers (that were pre-grown in the greenhouse) and also leeks and turnips planted after garlic and a second sowing of lettuce for autumn with good success. But tried and failed with swede and cabbage. I think they need longer than our climate permits, a full season rather than a follow on. Have you ever tried Chinese Cabbage as a follow-on?

Comment

Never tried to grow Chinese Cabbage. The turnips and mooli have tried and they are autumn and winter crops outside. I've tried fenugreek but not great outside but brilliant in the greenhouse late autumn. Have grown halon or halim seeds aka garden cress in mid autumn outside. Kake as you know is a autumn/winter crop.

Comment

Just planted the broad beans. We cut the grass and there is a bit of grass mulch too. Also the first of the peas, but they are covered with bottles. Ground still very squelchy after all that rain.

Comment

Tps just germinated in the propagator. These are from Snookie, a potato bred by Jayb. I am pleased that these came up because they are from a small, half sized berry. I have problems growing berries at the best of times, so any berry is a little triumph. And to have seeds come up from a small berry is a bonus.

Comment

I sowed chickpeas in the ground at the allotment last week but it's to wet to sow anything direct. The ground is still cold and wet. The chillies and tomatoes in the house are doing okay. The cabbages experiment isn't going well couple died they needed potting on buts it's too cold to do anything in the greenhouse at home. Plus the yacon plant I bought the compost dried out forgot to water it still in the greenhouse.

Comment

Sowed some dill,beetroot. Put some shallots,onions and potatoes today it was a busy day and very tired now. Going to plant some chillies tomorrow in the greenhouse at home. Also to add sowed some syrian broadbeans in the allotment.

Comment

Planted some of the chilli plants at home in the greenhouse today.

Comment

They are looking bonny. And the ones in the quadgrow too. Yes you have been very busy. Here I am planting out peas, mainly. Must shift on the potatoes, but that is for another day. Broadies are starting to flower I noticed today. I have gone again with the Oldamster Wierdeboon with its pure white flowers for this year. .

Comment

• clumsy
                            clumsy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I had to google Oldamster Wierdeboon the information came back to seed savers circle. I only sowed mine yesterday in the ground direct, so it's going to be a while. Hopefully Planting some tomato plants in the greenhouse at home tomorrow.
                        Working...
                        X