Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh dear, what a stuff up, what a disaster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear, what a stuff up, what a disaster!

We don't have a page for all the gardening mishaps, nature's cruelties and gardener's woes. A page to write down the bad things, the sad things and the 'what the heck' things. A page for a bit of sympathy from fellow gardeners.

Well here goes mine for today: A bit late, but in time for planting I am giving one of my greenhouses the make-over. I had been delaying, as this involved a major job, digging out soil and replacing with good compost, rather than just a mulch. I had been wondering why the vine in this greenhouse was sprouting leaves so late, but only today I got to look at it properly. This is by now quite an old vine, certainly over 20 years and we get great grapes every year. The same grape outside produces very late, erratic and usually not. Golden Chasselas grape does need greenhouse protection.

Well the stem was also leaning into the greenhouse, so I went to tie it back up again. With the very slightest of tugs trying to fix, the whole stem gave way. It had been severed at ground level. Presumably by voles, can't think of anything else that would do this. You hear of vines that are well over a century old, they are not short lived plants and the trunk is very thick too, but that didn't stop it from being severed.

I feel sad about losing this vine. Taking cuttings from its outdoor counterpart in the hope of starting a new greenhouse one.

On the positive side you at least have the outside one. Over 20 years since you had that one it's amazing.

Comment

I forgot that I had written about this grape before and posted a photo too. https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...er/7091-grapes

And something amazing has happened. I was looking at the root and decided to leave it as half of it was planted outside the greenhouse as you are supposed to do, so taking it out is a major job. Turns out I don't have to. The root looks to be alive and it has sprouted a tiny new shoot. Wouldn't it be great if that were to grow into a new main stem. To be trained upwards. With new shoots off next year, and these second year shoots have flowers and grow the grapes. Here is a picture of the tiny new shoot.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        I find it hard to believe. Grow, please grow.

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a courgette plant I think it was 4 years ago it was eaten by slugs just the stem and a very tiny bit of leaf left. I left it alone and only watered it when it was dry. At the time my neighbour and my mum saw me water it they thought I had gone mad they asked why. I said it still alive I don't know but I believed it was alive it took a month before it sprung to life in the end it gave me 8 courgettes before it got powdery mildew and then died. Sometime's mother nature can surprise you.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        There must have been just the tiniest bit of the growing point left. Yes, usually once the slugs get there, courgettes are toast. Great lesson on not giving up on things

Is your vine still growing?

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Growing, trying to take over the greenhouse and we had three small bunches of the most delicious grapes. I have also taken cuttings which are rooted now.

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        That's great at least you got something in the end.

Result!

Well done you and lovely the vine

Comment

Thank you both so much.

Comment

Working...
        X