HSL Seed List 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSL Seed List 2019

So this week the Heritage Seed Library has published the seed list for 2019.

It's my first year as a member and I've ordered only peas - Kent Blue, Robinson, Stokesley, Panthers, Freer's Mummy, & Bullroyd Bean Pea.

Anyone else ordered yet this year, or in previous years? Would love to know what you chose and how you got on with them.

Unfortunately never been a member HSL the seed list looks interesting. But grown papri I'm not sure if it's the same variety seeds originally from india. Also grown the dhudi once again probably similar variety.

Comment

They look quite similar, at least the flowers are the same creamy colour. Is yours also ~30 days from seed to flower?

I have never grown papri/lablab nor dudi - I've seen lablab seed for sale, but the flowers were violet.

Comment

Honestly I didn't time them but I don't think it was as quick 30 days from seed to flower.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          I am very ignorant when it comes to lablab. Do you eat the pods or the beans, clumsy?

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Also I read a comment which referred to white flowering ones as the proper ones for food and purple flowering ones as ornaments for flower arrangements. Are Asian lablabs typically white flowering like papri?

I have ordered and grown many different types from HSL, Robinson is a favourite pea here, although I mostly grow mangetouts. But I also like the bean peas. Non sweet peas the size of small broad beans. Hope you will like your choices triffid.

And a Welcome! to you on this forum too.

Comment

Trying to remember what I chose this time round. Definitely Beta III carrots. And I think the cauli. The red bean from Portugal that piqued my interest. I have many beans already but this one with the bright red pods looked just a bit different. Also the white serpent squash, I had this once before but very unusually for HSL I got no germination. So hope to be able to save seeds this time. And I liked the look of the Swedish Swede too.

Clumsy, I noticed that they have the Purple Tiger chilis which you gave me and they are also called Trifetti as an alternative name. They certainly look exactly like the ones from you.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes they look very similar but they say they are very hot I personally don't think they are that hot, probably mild. The description of the plant is correct.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say quite hot, heat is down to personal experience. I must admit they are not all the same, which surprised me. Some were much hotter than others.

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes your right the heat is down to personal experience. Interesting about how hot the chillies are or not. Some of the extreme hot ones, the taste was different from my past experience I'm not sure why.

I hope you have better luck with the squash next year. The red bean is very ornamental, I wonder if the colour stays with cooking.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Possibly not and the red may only develop on very mature pods, but who knows. I guess they start off green and the red flush comes later, but we will find out.
            Last edited by Galina; 15-12-2018, 08:32.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I hope so too. 3 seeds only in the packet can be a bit tight. but I know from own experience just how few seeds I often get in a handpollinated squash, so I fully understand.

I just had email confirmation that I will get some of my second choices:
          * Paddy
          * White Belgium
          * English Winter/Leamington
          * Portuguese
          * White Serpent
          * Kelper Gigantic

White Belgium carrot instead of BetaIII and the other swede, which is fine also. Have grown White Belgium before and been successful but did not save seed. From memory, they were not at all affected by carrot fly. I did get the White Serpent squash and the red bean, which I really wanted.

Comment

• triffid
            triffid commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe you'll have some giant cabbages come autumn!
            Is the 'White Belgium' synonymous with 'Blanche รก Collet Vert'? Both have green shoulders so I wonder.. I have seeds for the latter; would be great if that's one less pest off the list.
            Reminds me that I wanted to get a hold of 'Gniff' for next year, have you tried this variety?

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            I have also wondered that. Probably not identical, but similar description for sure. And with a generic name like White Belgium identical is quite possible too or a not very tightly selected landrace. When I grew them they were fairly large and had the tiniest bit of canker like parsnips. They taste not quite like a sweet red carrot, but more earthy. Definitely carrot, rather than parsnip, but not like any carrot we normally eat. What put me off was serving some to friends and they did not eat the slices with green on although the green is only superficial. It did not scrape off, would have needed to peel them. But they found the green objectionable for cosmetic reasons. The green top happens because the carrot rises out of the ground and the bit with the green shoulders actually is overground, the rest in the soil. Great fun.
            Last edited by Galina; 18-12-2018, 06:22.

• triffid
            triffid commented
            Editing a comment
            I had read somewhere that they were originally a fodder carrot which is probably why the cultivar got away with looking a bit wild. Less sweetness would be better on livestock's digestion I think. Will try them next year, and if they're not to our taste I'm sure our local riding school will accept them in exchange for precious manure :P

I have seeds for Gniff carrot seeds triffid if you want some?
          Last edited by clumsy; 16-12-2018, 11:52.

Comment

• triffid
            triffid commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd love some clumsy, thanks for offering. When are they usually started? Feb?

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say march but you could start them earlier up to you depends on the weather really with everything.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            We had Gniff in the A4A seed circle. Unfortunately my "hit and miss" carrot growing was a bit "miss" with them. I ended up with two small ones with slug holes. Looks like a white fleshed and cored carrot with purple from the outside reaching well inside into the white flesh. What little I had, tasted good.

There is also the Spanish Morada black carrot, has anybody tried that? Thomas Etty usually stocks those. Another variety to try one day.

Yes the Paddy sounds like it will make an enormous cabbage. Just need to remember to space it well. This is always my problem, squeezing too many things. And brassica need their space. I will need to sow small quantities only for just a few plants.

Comment

Spanish Morada black carrot looks interesting variety never grown them. Bit like you galina I squeeze as much as I can in, I don't do the spacing of plants.

Comment

Lovely pea list Triffid and thanks for the reminder, I haven't chosen yet! I better get a move on.

The Portuguese bean sound delightful.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Happy to share seeds if they do ok. Did you get any seeds from HSL this spring, Jayb?

I'm afraid not Galina, I haven't picked anything the last two seasons, hopefully, this coming year I'll have more focus and soul

Comment

Hi jayb, great to see you around again! May the soil spirits bless you for the coming seasons

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Triffid, I do hope so, no fun in the wilderness

Comment

Working...
                  X