Anybody sowing already for 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody sowing already for 2019?

I know it's not 2019 yet. But I thought I'll start the chilli sowing today. Then few more around end of January. I've gone for normal varieties nothing special. Brought the seeds from garden centre when they were 50p a packet.

Well strictly it is "for" 2019 as even your chilli expertise won't make them fruit this year. WOW Krakatoa looks and "explosive" one, judging by the name probably very hot. Wish you good germination. I am still enjoying the 5 colour peppers in the conservatory. It is nice to pick them fresh when needed. Hope to get them through winter. Then starting the next years early in the new year.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Krakatoa they say it's hot, plus it's a compact plant. Definitely love harvesting fresh chilli's. I hope you manage to get the plant through the winter. Do you have any variety's in mind what your growing?

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely, looking forward to trying my new seeds, Clumsy Not sure what for mild pepper yet. There are a few varieties in the freezer but haven't made up my mind yet.
      Last edited by Galina; 22-12-2018, 17:11.

Great looking chilies! When you sow this time of year, how do you ensure they get enough sunlight? Do you use artificial lights? It's something I've struggled with when starting indoors (wiry tomatoes).

I suppose I started for '19 with broad beans last month. Also germinated some dwarf sweet peas this week, variety called 'White Cupid'.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Tomato's grow very quickly. Chilli's once germinated if you leave them in a cool room they grow slowly, plus you can bury them deep in compost when potting on. I just use natural light from the window then room light in the evening seems to work for me.

Nothing sown here, but I have spotted a tomato seedling in the poly-tunnel which I'm hoping to rescue and bring inside if it can hang on until the beginning of January.
    Oooh those chillies sound good and hot!
    Great inspiration thread Clumsy, just what I need

Comment

just to show how the peas and broad beans are doing so far.

Comment

They are looking very fine Clumsy. Not pale green and not stretched but good sturdy little plants. Now I wish I had sown early too. I usually do broadies in January and peas in February

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm quite surprised that they are still growing. The one potato plant you can see in the background on the second photo is just about hanging on. It's leave are pale green but it's still alive.

First chilli is germinated. Plus photo's of the potato and a tomato plant which is still surviving. I originally cut the tomato plant down left the side so it's still doing okay.

Comment

Congratulations on your maiden chili. My niece gave me one of those grow-you-own chili kits for Christmas, I should get started. No mention of what variety on the packaging...
          Tomatoes are amazingly resilient, they really hold on to dear life. Cut the suckers off a Marmande mid-summer and stuck them in the ground, they were still going until I pulled them up a fortnight ago.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            It's always a nice surprise to grow a variety without knowing it. I like the mystery until I see the fruit or veg forming.

Yes nice to see a tiny chili seedling. Glad they are starting to sprout from your December sowing.

I had a small volunteer tomato in the garden which went into the conservatory just before first frost. Has a few flowers and one tiny green fruit. However I have in the past tried to overwinter tomatoes and been unsuccessful. So I am not holding out much hope for this one. Also the 5 colour peppers, which I hope to overwinter. Looking not great, but so far ok and if nothing else, there are still fresh chilis to harvest.

I like the potato Clumsy. A bit pale, but if you get it through winter that will be a great early meal of spuds. I could not really make it out on the last photos, but this one is nice.

The other plants in the conservatory here are mostly cuttings of perennial kale.
          Last edited by Galina; 30-12-2018, 13:34.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            That's great to see the chilli and tomato plant in bloom. It's nice to see the chillies still at this late stage.

Few more coming through now.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a sight to gladden any gardener's heart!

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Got 40 seedlings now growing.

Photo's from the greenhouse in the allotment, haven't been there for a while so took a walk today. One potato plant has died the small one is still okay. Peas are okay after tying them up the fell down due to height. Broad beans are falling over. Rocket is doing okay outside.

Comment

• triffid
            triffid commented
            Editing a comment
            Peas are looking good! When do you expect a crop from them?

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Good question, honestly I have no idea.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Good question. I guess they will be ready before mid May. Much depends on how cold or warm late winter is. And that can be very variable. If February sown peas are ready in June, then I think these should be May. Let's hope early May.

Galina the tomato seeds you sent me are up. I sowed all of the variety's took each seed out of the packets. Plus the chillies are slowly progressing.

Comment

I am so busy at the moment with other stuff. Haven't started a thing yet. The little tomato turned red and OH got it for a treat, two more are on the plant, still green, but the next one will be mine. A fresh tomato in January is definitely novel. Love to see your photos Clumsy. The tomatoes are looking great. Glad they came up quickly and hope they will do well for you.

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow fresh tomato in January very impressive. Looks like you also had chilli's in the photo of harvesting.

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes indeed, still the 5 colour chillis from your seeds. I have some in the freezer, but it is great to get fresh too. And they are surprisingly hot. I thought during winter they would not develop much heat, but they seem to.

It's nice and sunny today. Went to the allotment to clear the mind. Was in the A&E with dad for 24 hrs. Garlic looking good with sunny shining on it.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to read this Clumsy. Hope he is much better. Today is a super day. Enjoy the sunshine and yes, your garlic looks great.

• triffid
              triffid commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a serious row of garlic. Best wishes to you and your dad.

The first pepper seedlings are through. Also have been sowing peas and broad beans, but nothing to show there yet.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking good lovely to see them germinate.

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Now joined by two more pots that came out from the propagator a couple of days ago and just germinated tomatoes. Peas are nearly ready to plant out and the broad beans are a couple of inches tall too. And there are several pots of tiny lettuce seedlings.
          Working...
          X