Harvesting 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting 2019

It may be deepest winter, but the plot is still producing. I got this little lot before the arctic blast came. Two types of kale, red mustard, turnip, cress, chard and a small celeriac.

I've also harvested kale and rocket bit of fenugreek last week from the allotment.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to be a bare bed from late October to March gardener. Until I changed to a 4 season gardener. I am still stupidly proud of my winter harvests. I am very glad that it seems to be catching on and there are now more people who garden over winter and inspire others. It is so uplifting to see your greenhouse, Clumsy and all other winter successes.
      Last edited by Galina; 02-02-2019, 00:18.

Gosh what a haul! They must taste lovely and sweet too what with the cold weather?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Not so sure about that. The red mustard does pack a punch. And the chillis (from the conservatory) are also still surprisingly hot. But it is certainly true for some veg. The kale is lovely and sweet. And the turnip tops are also really tasty and tender, make quite a different veg from the turnip roots.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not convinced when they say chilli's need hot weather to be taste hot. I think it depends on the watering, I believe if treated poorly they become hot and the plants defence is triggered to protect itself if you damage a stem or take leaves off. Great observation galina about the chilli's. Very envious of having fresh chilli's right know, all mine a frozen.

The kale I was harvesting today it's nice and sunny but very cold. Plus the photo of the potato plant that died from cold weather it did have a small potato and another very tiny one developing. I think I will plant some potato's early as august if I see some volunteers potato's growing again. Broad beans have fallen down I need to tie them up next time. Plus a photo of the frozen greenhouse I always mean to take a photo when it looks like this to show how cold it gets.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      That kale looks marvelous
Working...
X