• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Allotment Plot

Took some photos today of the plot.

Few more

Comment

Gniff carrots,lettuce,rapeseed in flower.

Comment

Photo's from the greenhouse at home. Chilli,cucumber plants and watermelon plants. Plus experiment growing chilli and watermelon plant in the same container.

Comment

All so neat and tidy and seeds are coming on a treat. I noticed my garlic having some dry tips and have watered them. But yours are doing the same. I think they will benefit from the rain that is forecast in a day or two. Compared to your plot mine is still a mess. I have selected a dozen of the best of the remaining turnips for new seed and they look a mess, the rest was pulled. Too late for eating the roots as the tops are stretching, but the flowerbuds and the good leaves are still good food. Several bags went into the freezer.

My red salad mustard is also stretching. I have enough good plants so will let them seed too. Last leaves are being picked, but they are getting really hot now. Hurry up the newly planted lettuces. The lamb's lettuce is starting to flower, but there were some overwintered lettuces and they are coming into their own now. Still no pea flowers. So everything looks messy. I mulch with as much cut grass as I have and that keeps the soil nice and moist underneath. The areas without grass are starting to crack. We need rain.

Yours looks nice.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes we need rain. I never water garlic it does fine for me.Once the garlic is planted that's it I leave it alone until harvest. Actually it's the first time it looks so neat and everything is laid out properly. I'm harvesting Indian cress (haloon) and you can just about see the spinach plant on the first photo.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry Clumsy I seem to be changing this to "our allotment plots" by talking so much of my own plants. If you mind, I will stop and start a new thread.

I see on the weather map that your area might have got some rain, hope so. Yes I don't normally water it either. It is getting windy here, and grey but no rain.

On the propagator front I have pear shaped gourd, leprechaun courgettes and hyacinth beans, all just sprouted. Very excited by those. The achocha has gone into the greenhouse on the shelves, as it has suddenly put on a lot of growth. Still no pea flowers, but hope it won't be too long. The broad beans are not yet flowering either, but that was my fault for not starting early enough. On the plus side, I had a plant I could not quite identify and it did nothing last year, so I took it in. It made winter ok, is now back in the greenhouse and I think it is a physalis. There are the first signs of tiny flower buds, we shall soon know what it is. It is still in a big pot, just in case we get a cold spell and it has to go back into the house, but looking hopeful. The peppers are in the greenhouse and I am delighted with their progress, but no doubt at least a month or two behind yours. Also hardening off are the first tomatoes, but most of them are not even in individual pots yet. Watering is getting a lot of work now. I also have lots of lettuces, still under bottles. I risked two areas without bottle protection (as it is quite a chore to water into each bottle) and sure enough those disappeared within a couple of days. So bottles it is. The small self seeded lettuces from last year do not get attacked and are growing well now. Picking individual leaves.

Do you still have the charity plot in addition to your own or did you have to give that one up?

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            That many empty plots in a town allotment. When others have long waiting lists. I guess this is down to your committee and how welcome people feel or otherwise. If no effort is made to do something with the empty plots, it is not very inviting to others.

We did get a half decent shower and hopefully more to come. Soil here is still rock hard.

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Got bit but dried out with the wind. Need bit more.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            We need a lot more! I only got 8 watering cans from what the house roof collected and the soil is barely damp. It is ok where I had a thick grass mulch over the dug soil, but there has not been that much grass so far this year. Hope the grass will grow a bit faster now with the rain.

Hyacinth beans direct swon plus malabar spinach both in the greenhouse.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! I would never dare do that. I pregrow in the house and when the plants are big enough I transplant under bottle cloches to keep them safe from the voles and mice.

In the field behind the garden 'something' has been planted, I am not sure what (the hedge at the bottom is about ten foot tall as a wind break), but the farmer has installed one of those pop gun bird scarers. It went off several times in a row close to us and the pheasants came into our garden. They are so tame. I enjoyed watching them. I think the gun frightens them into our garden.

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            I sometimes find it easier to direct sow less messing about. But germination can be erratic. I think I would be frighten if the gun goes off when you least expect it.

Chilli plant has a flower.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooh! Not even the ones I managed to overwinter have flowers yet!

Took this photo yesterday noticed sweetcorn has germinated. The photo isn't great but you can see two small plants. They were sown direct in the soil on the plot.

Comment

Excellent. You are brave Clumsy. This is another plant where I will always transplant or the beasties get the lot. It looks more than 2 that have germinated. Lovely.

We have broad beans and the first pea in flower. The pea is one of the last F2s from the cross between the yellow Court Estate Gold and Shiraz. So there are possibly some partially red pods there. Or perhaps a proper full red, that would be nice. We will see.

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer direct sowing much easier plus the plants are used to the elements and preform better I think.

The gniff carrots sown direct plus some lettuce sown direct also. The plot looks good can see loads of weeds germinating and volunteer potato plants.
            The lab lab beans are ready to be planted outside soon to if they will grow, some in the greenhouse also with the ones sown direct in the soil.
            Last edited by clumsy; 10-05-2019, 15:58. Reason: Added lab lab beans photo.

Comment

Yesterday I direct seeded some of the Gniff carrots you sent me clumsy. Hope the slugs keep away!

Comment

• clumsy
                clumsy commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely hoping the slugs keep away it's been damp last couple of days. But I have the carrots growing in the containers also see post 3. Growing direct less watering issues container will need some compost gets dry very quick in the summer.

Sweet pepper is flowering,peas are also starting to flower difficult to take a photo of the peas under the netting..

Comment

We have broad beans and the first pea in flower. The very elusive Scholar from Silverleaf with pink and brick red flowers with the rub gene. I hope that I soon have a white flowering variety in flower to cross it with, because on its own Scholar does not make strong plants. Very early, but wilts long before others in my experience so far.

I did overwinter a plant that I was not quite sure whether it is a blue flowering pepper or something else. We now have yellow flowers and I am pretty certain it is a Cape Gooseberry.

I can see the flowers on your peas clearly. Not long now. Great on the pepper flowering too. That very early good weather must have brought them on a treat.

Comment

The crimson-flowered broadies are blooming like crazy. The scent is wonderful and I'm surprised by how ornamental they are. Bumblebees and allotment neighbours both equally enraptured, luckily I have seed left to share around. Did you plant yours this season clumsy? How're they getting on?

None of the carrots have come up, and then my neighbour trod on the bed, so I've planted in brassicas instead. I think maybe the soil kept drying too much for germination, so I'll try again on a bed with more organic matter.

I planted some peas on buried seaweed that washed up after a storm in March. The birds really had their way with them while they were small but now their leaves are as big as my hand. I'm compelled to exclaim 'cor look at the size of these leaves!' and 'bloody hell' whenever I go past them. I must take some photos.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by triffid; 19-05-2019, 21:41. Reason: added photo, pea 'Panthers'

Comment

• clumsy
                    clumsy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow they are huge. You'll peas will be big also.

• triffid
                    triffid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haven't heard of using spent hops before, only spent grains for the compost heap. May be worth checking in with local breweries. Beached seaweed is abundant again in the wake of Storm Miguel.

• clumsy
                    clumsy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I been using the spent hops for ages collected from the local brewery plenty of them about if you look for them. Spent hops keep the weeds down also and breaks up clay soil which is what my plot has. The allotment was a brick yard until 1914 converted to allotments when closed 18 inches down the soil is pure clay.
                Working...
                X