Tomato 'Paul Robeson'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato 'Paul Robeson'

I wondered whether anyone has grown this variety. It seems to have a lot of very positive reviews and created a bit of a stir in taste tests. https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vege...robeson-tomato
    Baker Creek, for example, wax particularly enthusiastically, as do the private reviews on their page

Quite nice "black" tomato, nothing particularly special and relatively low yields. Probably very different in a warmer climate or in a really good summer. Tomatoes are so different in different places and this is one that did not convince here.

Comment

I've a similar experience to Galina, Paul Robeson is nice tasting tomato but not very productive. From my seed stash I see I grew it in 2010, saved seeds but I can't remember growing it since. Perhaps in a hotter year flavour and production would be better. I've no doubt it has the potential to be a great tomato, but sadly I don't think I'll get the same results with my growing conditions. Funnily enough, Black Iccle (from Baker Creek) to my mind tastes gorgeous grown here and is a massive producer, it's been a firm favourite for a number of years. Whereas in much of the US it is hardly rated at all.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        I would endorse your comments fully Jayb, black icicle is great here, as is the pink one. A long time ago I learned through comparison with a seed swap partner that the tomato with the most delicious complex balance of sweetness and acidity that is so well loved in UK, the Gardeners Delight, is just sweet and bla and so so in hotter climates. It needs the longer ripening in cooler weather in the UK to develop that exquisite balanced flavour. With Paul Robeson it appears to be the other way round. The Ukrainian Sosulka, aka Icicle tomatoes on the other hand, are clearly better in cooler weather than in many parts of the USA.

Thanks Galina and jayb. Looks like Black Icicle is one to try.

And really interesting to have the regional variation in taste pointed out. I must give Gardeners Delight another try too. I’ve never really appreciated the complex flavours you pay tribute to, Galina, but think I probably haven’t given it a fair chance.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I adored Gardener's Delight. When I was young at the weekends, I used to trail behind my Gran when she was doing her rounds of the garden and greenhouse, I'd help side shoot the toms and any other jobs I could. Then just as we were finishing (I dread to think how much of a hindrance I was) she would pick tomatoes for the house and she would always point out the reddest shiniest cherry ones and tell me to eat those. I found out years later they were Gardener's Delight.

I find I don't really grow them anymore as I have a bit of a sweet tooth for cherry tomatoes and tend to go for types like Sungold F1, Floridity F1, Suncherry F1, Sweet Aperitif etc. I think perhaps if they were bigger I'd still grow them for flavour but for grazing in the greenhouse on a hot sunny afternoon the sweets win every time for me!

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovely picture of you trailing behind your gran! Probably part of what led you to be growing so committedly now.
        I think my taste buds have been 'corrupted' by sweet varieties too.
        On which subject, are there many sweet varieties which aren't F1? I'm assuming Sweet Aperitif is open pollinated?
    Working...
    X