Rosada (F1) x Michael Pollan F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosada (F1) x Michael Pollan F1

I grew two plants which looked pretty similar as they grew but the fruit when ripe gave a red and a yellow of slightly different elongated cherry shape. Flavour was good + on both and they were a lovely one to snack on or pick for the house. Pleased with production too, which was quite high. I'd be happy to grow this again as an F1, although I'm looking forward to the f2 generation next year and hopefully some tasty colour and shape combinations.

Rosada (F1) x Michael Pollan F1 by jayb 35, on Flickr

Rosada (F1) x Michael Pollan F1 by jayb 35, on Flickr

I have been a bit disappointed by Michael Pollan, because of very few fruits. Did you find the same? And did you have good fruit set on this cross? Pity the shape did not come back again. Love the MP pointy end on what otherwise is similar to Green Zebra.

Interesting that the MP colouring comes through in patches,

Comment

I didn't grow Michael Pollan this year, but I don't remember thinking it a stingy producer (though not in Black Icicle's league). It can be a little slow to start setting fruit if temps are low and I think it's one better suited to growing indoors. Fruit set was good on both these crossed plants, though that might be due to hybrid vigour, I'd put them as mid season ripening.

I found the shape from Michael Pollan varied somewhat and the first couple of years I grew it, it was quite more a fat plum with pointy end, but last year they had much more a narrow neck then fat body and point. Seed came directly from Wild Boar farms.
      As long as I have room to grow enough plants next year, I'd hope to find a range of colours, some with stripes and interesting shapes in the F2 generation. But flavour will be key to selection as F1's was good, sweet and zippy with good flavour, They do look a bit patchy ripening, might be something to watch next generation. without checking I think I've saved plenty of seeds, I'd be happy to send you some if you'd like to grow them (quite understand if you don't want to I grew quite a few F1 crosses this year which might take your interest, always good to share tomatoes and compare lines).

Comment

Working...
      X