Tigerette x Micro Blue - Mini Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigerette x Micro Blue - Mini Me

I thought this would make a fun cross, the lovely light green foliage of Tigerette as a background to blue black fruits from Micro Blue all on mini tomato dwarf plants. But the F2's of a similar cross I grew out a couple of years ago looked a bit sickie looking, Pale green leaves tinged blue - not the best look. But I've decided to give it another whirl; I've sown the F2 seed I have (plus sown some of the F1's as I didn't have that many and will need a bigger sample to select from).

Result, lots of little dwarf seedlings, I'm just hoping I can find the couple of micros that might be amongst them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	5788

The above Chartreuse foliage is quite distinct and an easy recessive trait to select for at an early stage. I'd be happy to find one along the line that doesn't have the blue Antho, but as it's dominate, that will be harder to select.

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	5789

Some interesting sizes, nice and stocky

I've ended up with 31 seedlings which show the lighter green foliage in varying degrees. I've no idea yet if or how many might be micro sized plants, though I'd be happy with any small growing sized types. I've potted on a few of the smaller looking green leaved ones and still have loads over, I know I can't grow them all but I hate not being able to.

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	5804

Comment

What a difference in foliage colour. Presumably the more yellow ones might be smaller (less chlorophyll?).

Comment

Very visible difference.

Comment

Presumably the more yellow ones might be smaller (less chlorophyll?)
          I think generally they can't do as well as a regular green would, by how much I don't know. It'll be interesting to see how much it does impact.

To add, from what I remember from a couple of years ago, the parent Tigerette was a productive dwarf , fruits were around saladette size and round to oval-plum depending on the plant. The mother used in this cross had red striped with yellow fruit. Plants might not be as robust as some but it could have been the conditions when I've grown them.
          Last edited by jayb; 10-05-2016, 07:26.

Comment

Tigrette was one of the tomatoes I managed to kill not grow. Got seeds in my first ever seed swap from Canada and did not realise that the plants needed more protection. They got overrun entirely. At the time I wondered about the foliage and as the plants 'didn't do well' (ie grow 6ft tall) I thought they might be diseased. Just shows how much have I learned since!

Comment

One lot of seeds I had was from Solana seeds, which I think are in Canada, I wonder if they may have originally come form the same source as the ones you had. I'm pretty sure it's this line I used for this cross rather than the yellow striped Tigerette.

I grew up with red round tomatoes on tall plants too Who'd have thought there was so much diversity (other than Tom Wagner!)

Comment

Picture taken this morning,

Name:	060.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	5844

Comment

Working...
                X