Crimson Crush F2, Mountain Magic F2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimson Crush F2, Mountain Magic F2

Following on from growing Crimson Crush F1to trial for Late Blight resistance last year I decided to grow out some saved F2 seeds of Crimson Crush from last year and some Mountain Magic (from a few years ago). Although Crimson Crush wasn't exactly blight resistant grown here it does have some resistance and made a productive outdoor type. I'm unlikely to buy more seeds for the variety again as they didn't come anywhere near to the Late Blight resistant claims made, but I'm quite happy to play around with a few F2's and see if anything worthwhile turns up. Mountain Magic, again to select for anything worthwhile.

Last years thread for Crimson Crush https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...-crimson-crush

I've started more Crimson Crush F2 than Mountain Magic F2, not really by design just happened that way

Interestingly Crimson Crush seedlings are already visually segregating into both potato and regular leaf types.

Click image for larger version

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	5850

How was the segregation from the F2 plants for Crimson Crush F2 and did all be resistant to blight?

Comment

Great question, I'm afraid not. I had quite a mixed bag and mostly failures, it's a very blighty spot here (and even more so for potatoes) anything growing outside on the plot has to be ultra-resistant. I'm still searching for a resistant LB variety, some showed signs of promise but nothing shone.

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your post, a good reminder to regrow and evaluate.

Have you been growing Crimson Crush, how do you find it grows for you? I've crimson plum growing this year, a nice enough variety quite productive and doing well in the poly-tuunel but I don't know I'd risk it outdoors and expect a crop here.

Comment

Im Growing Galahad F1 and F2. its very resistant for blight and also tasty.

I also grow these resistant varieties:
        Mountaineer Pride (West Virginia 17A)
        Primabella
        Resibella
        Rondobella
        Sunviva (Very good tasting cherry)
        Vivigrande

i made a lot of crosses to get better tasting blight resistant F1`s. hope i can test them in 2022.

Comment

I haven’t grown Crimson Crush or any of the others mentioned by Jayb or Doffer except for Primabella, which I grew out of doors this year.
          In fact it is still cropping and although it now has a little foliage blight, the plants are still growing strongly and the fruit is blight free.
          I’ve been impressed by its blight resistance and will grow it again.

What results have you had from the varieties you list, Doffer? - And welcome to this forum.

Comment

Most resistant Varieties:
            Galahad F1
            Primabella
            Rondobella
            Resibella
            Sunviva
            Vivigrande
            Mountaineer Pride (west virginia17A)

Varieties that should be resistant but are disappointing in 2021 (wet year):
            Rote Murmel
            Koralik
            Dorada
            Primavera
            Clou
            Red Pearl

This last list shows something about the resistance of the first list.

Comment

im from Netherlands

Comment

• Jang
              Jang
              Gone Sowing
              Jang commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know. Your growing conditions are perhaps not very different from much of UK?

Your blight resistant testing is of great interest. Thanks very much for sharing your findings. Are you intending to grow the same varieties next year or have you found others to try out? Are you testing for taste, productivity etc as well?

My limited experience of the varieties you list is that Primabella is impressively productive, especially quite late in the season. I also like the taste.

Originally posted by doffer View Post
            Im Growing Galahad F1 and F2. its very resistant for blight and also tasty.

I also grow these resistant varieties:
            Mountaineer Pride (West Virginia 17A)
            Primabella
            Resibella
            Rondobella
            Sunviva (Very good tasting cherry)
            Vivigrande

i made a lot of crosses to get better tasting blight resistant F1`s. hope i can test them in 2022.
            Great list. Did you find Galahad F2 types to be as uniformly resistant as the F1's?

Brilliant you made crosses, are they all from the list above or did you use/cross these with other varieties also?

Comment

The F2 resistance for late blight is the same as the F1 resistance. Both are very good with blight.

I made 118 crosses this year. Also with other varieties im trying to cross a very good resistant to a tasty. Or I try to cross two little resistant varieties.

How was your F2 mountain magic?
              I think it’s a very good plant to make a open pollinated version. The parents of mountain magic is a productive beef tomato x a very good tasting cherry. And the cherry also have the rin gene for long fruit live.
              So if u plant enough F2`s mountain magic u can get a nice very tasting tomato, blight resistant and long shelf live. U can select for cherry, beef or oval tomatoes.

Comment

Working...
              X