Jayb's Mydwfa x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jayb's Mydwfa x

Last year I was lucky to receive a Mydwfa plant from Jayb. One of her breeding lines, still segregating. The name simply means 'My dwarf A'. It had purple stripey fruit.

This year I grew 8 plants. 2 in the greenhouse the rest outside. All with rugose foliage. The fruits on the outside plants are about to be taken indoors as they have the first bits of blight. Hope they will ripen indoors soon. The amount of fruit per plant varies from heavily loaded trusses down to a few fruit only. The size is cherry with only slight differences between the plants.

There are essentially 3 types this year - nearly solid purple, purple striped (the other colour is green but will probably turn red when ripe?) and lighter green with stripe. The dark purple type looks stunning! To get green/(red?) was a surprise.

None are ripe yet, not even in the greenhouse, but not long to go. I think the green bits might turn red.

I thought I'd upload a few pictures.
    Last edited by Galina; 22-08-2014, 07:46. Reason: Edited to correct the name - should be MYDWFA

I can't remember both parts of this cross of the top of my head, I know one parent is Mydwfa. A lovely tasting fairly short growing dwarf, the line is still segregating, possibly from a GWR. They blue side I can't remember, till I check.
    They look gorgeous, love the stripes. How tall are they I was aiming at 18 to 24'' max. Unless it is light reflecting the furthest right tomato in the first picture looks like it is starting to turn colour.

Comment

Ps lovely to see them thanks

Comment

They are beautiful, very exciting!

Comment

Did I get the name wrong? My - dwf - a? Sorry my bad. How can I edit the heading? I remember that I thought initially it might be a Welsh word and googled it in the Welsh online dictionary! until some kind soul put me right ;-)

Yes they are all dwarf, quite similar to each other in height. I am so looking forward to tasting them. Does the green turn red? If it is from green when ripe ancestry, maybe it is nearly there already?
          Last edited by Galina; 21-08-2014, 06:54.

Comment

How can I edit the heading?
            I'm not sure, I just tried to edit one of mine to see and it wouldn't let me, admin might be able to.

I thought it might be ripening as the Antho looks to be a slightly different colour, the same way it changes with Dancing With Smurfs. You you could always try a gentle squeeze to see. Last year I had mostly reds I think, not sure about this year as it's got a bit hard keeping track of all the dwarf lines. I've family down for the weekend, so seeds and notes also plant checking are banished for the duration
            I'll get back to you on the breeding lines and colours but I think probable GWR striped x red antho.

Comment

Enjoy having family to visit. We'll soon have some of that as daughter's wedding is approaching - apparently after my nails are done (what is that???) I am no longer allowed to dig potatoes etc Guess the Sarpos can stay in for the time being

Yes I have squeezed the ripest looking tomatoes gently and they are not soft yet. GWR x red antho makes sense. I assume you mean antho on the outside, red on the inside.

Comment

A red tomato is still red, hence the underside skin or part out of direct light retains it's original colour, I think the Anthocyanin colours the top coat, which is why you can still sometimes see the stripes beneath in the skin. I've seen some that bleed antho a little into the flesh but not really that much.

Comment

This is what you said about Mydwfa in a PM on A4A earlier this year, Jayb:

Glad you are growing some of Mydwfa plants, though I can’t remember which ones I sent or what generation? So far from this family I’ve had yellow, white, green, pink and I think orange, some are striped fruited plants. Skin can be a little tough but most plants have lovely tasting toms.
                  eoq

You sent me one plant which had dark purple striped fruit, like in the first picture. So pleased to get a variation on the theme here too. I wonder whether the light green with darker green stripes (third picture) might turn into a white one? Hadn't considered that before re-reading the above. Exciting or what!

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                    How can I edit the heading?
                    Not being able to change the heading is apparently a known bug in the system and hopefully will have a fix soon. As admin I seem to be able to alter the heading.

Comment

Can moderators change headings? Because that would be a way round it if so. I mean there's only a few of us posting here, so it wouldn't be a problem if we all had moderator status! (It's not like there's any need for "real" moderation.)

Comment

Good point and to be honest I’ve not looked at mods permissions, I’m rather hoping Vbulletin won’t be long before they release a new update to cover this as I was hoping everyone could edit their own posts within a certain time frame including headings. I'll have a poke about.

Comment

The purple Mydwfas have ripened to lovely purple skin with red fruits, the green striped one in the photo above has ripened to red striped fruits. Yum!

Comment

They look lovely
                            Is the taste still there or has it slipped?

Comment

Working...
                            X