Baby Belle Aubergine F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Belle Aubergine F1

These are just for fun, they are supposedly a short growing variety at a height of 30-40 cm, even so this is very much on the tall side for winter garden growing. Two seeds were sown, into a heated propagator with a nighttime temperature of 22c, I'll lower this soon. They are under lights and both germinated well, the picture is 7 days from sowing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	10230

7 days that is so fast. Wow!

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow I have to say I'm impressed. I'm liking your experiments.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I don't think I would be growing them without you.

Yes, it is lovely to have quick germination but look how long those seedlings are. I have doubts these will make any attempt to stay compact

Comment

Progress, 16 days from sowing, they are continuing to make speedy progress. I don't know it comes across in the picture but they are quite tall in comparison to the dwarf sweet peppers next to them.

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	10358

Comment

They look ready to be moved up to the next pot size. They are so big.

Comment

They were more than ready to be potted up, but I've only just got to the job tonight. I think I will only have room for one plant though.

Comment

Day 22 taken last week.

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	10429

Day 28 (today) they were potted up at the beginning of the week.

Name:	241.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	617.5 KB
ID:	10430

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Bonny little plants

Loving these, steady as they go.

State of play 20/12/19,this one has been potted on into a 2 litre pot, two Aji Cristal I think behind.

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	10776

27/12/19, leaves are starting to expand and it really needs a bit more room to expand.

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	10777

12/01/20, first flower bud, electric toothbrush at the ready!

Name:	083.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	10778

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking amazing those aubergine plants.

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, they are doing well now, fingers crossed!

I am surprised and delighted that they are growing and flowering so speedily. All it needed was a bit of light. Congratulations and hope pollination works well too.

Comment

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              I was a bit worried for a while they were looking so sad at one point, but once I upped my game they have grown on well.

Your plants look wonderfully lush and healthy. Very exciting.

But electric toothbrush! Is that a bit drastic - or is it simply to create an air flow? Intrigued!

Comment

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Jang, I've so got my fingers crossed for signs of a fruit!

• Jang
              Jang commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for further explanation and your encouragement to ask questions. So more .......!
              The reading I did, mainly about tomato pollination, suggested that the aim in using an electric toothbrush or other is to get the pollen to fall onto the pistil. But I think you’re describing a method of collecting the pollen and then manually applying it? I’m confused as to why that would be necessary with self-pollination.🤔🤔. Or have I misunderstood?

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, you have got it right. It's just in this case, the flower has an extended stigma coupled with a slightly looking up flower, just buzzing is likely to work well, but given there is little air movement it's worth collecting a little dab of pollen to apply as a backup.
              With tomato seed saving although they are easy to bag and self pollinate if this is done repeatedly from the same singular plant line and within the same growing conditions then I think some divergence will occur from the original. Sharing the pollen between trusses and plants is a way of keeping diversity - though we all want crops that do well in our local growing conditions and selecting for those traits can be another game.
              Potatoes setting true seed can be a little tricksy and I found buzzing and collecting pollen coupled with manually selfing flowers gives the best results for more stubborn fruiters.

Pictures are a bit fuzzy in places....

Flower shape and tilt

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1,022.9 KB
ID:	10825

Some pollen has fallen a bit short of the mark

Name:	043.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	876.1 KB
ID:	10826

Grains of pollen being shaken out, quite a collection on the leaf below.

Name:	044.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	10827
            I've collected an extra bit to apply

Name:	048.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	10828
            Hopefully this shows some of the grains attached, it's sticky so not visible for long. It seems a fair bit at the base of the petals too!

Name:	049.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	10829

Comment

Wow! Or wowzers as my sons would say. Amazingly clear close-up photos. A whole tutorial.

I can absolutely see now why gathering the pollen is a good idea. And thanks too for the overview of tomato and potato fertilisation. I feel very helpfully briefed for the season ahead and look forward to putting into practice.

Comment

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                I still sometimes say wowzers, I think for me it comes from watching Dangermouse many years ago or was it Inspecter Gadget later on, some such thing anyway.
                I'm looking forward to learning about your plans and projects.

• Jang
                Jang commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry -‘reply’ below should have been ‘comment’ on comment!

It's your youthfulness showing through!

Plans fairly unformed. A lot of new directions in which to go. A lot of different seeds asked for or ordered! A determination to save seeds which need a bit more hands-on attention than the obvious ones, an interest in some more 'unusual' foodstuffs such as Achocha which I've not grown until now and an interest in doing some crossing perhaps, although that might be in 2021. Alongside the determinations, a small fear as always of over-reaching oneself and taking on far too much.

I imagine that an occupational hazard!

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                oh yes it is. But that is not a bad thing. Just remember we are in that blessed spell of time when the new year has arrived, but the gardening season has not yet put a foot wrong. The season of ideal plans, gardening catalogues and glorious photos. The season where nothing as yet is tempered with drab reality. Enjoy every minute of it because when it gets busy in only a few short months and when things go wrong, you need to keep an eye on those promises to yourself to keep going and to try again. Overreaching is to give yourself maximum license to experience and maximum license to progress. Really, it is all good Jang

• Jang
                Jang commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for this rallying cry! I loved your assessment of this precise moment in the growing year which I recognise so well.
                And yes, enormously enjoyable to plan, research, prepare, imagine, expand. Only today my partner was encouraging me to carve out another bed in the meadow I’m ‘borrowing’. It took only two minutes to shift from feeling I was operating at full capacity maintenance-wise to finding myself allured and seduced by the prospect of yet more growing space.
                Flirting with chaos it will be .....

Looking like a January baby!

Picture today

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	10955

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                They have set! they have set! they have set! Great stuff!

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Exciting, just the one so far, loving the gardening. The second aubergine plant is a little behind in growth as I wasn't going to keep it under lights and then changed my mind.

• clumsy
                clumsy commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow aubergines was this the plant that was struggling at the beginning?

Yes, it is the same little plant that wasn't looking so good to begin with
              Once I started looking after it right, it's thrived.

Comment

• Jang
                Jang commented
                Editing a comment
                And that’s the result of your electric toothbrush treatment. Great stuff!

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                It might have set anyway, but happy to have done a little faffing about!
            Working...
            X