No announcement yet.

Oca Growing 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I potted up Real seeds Oca selection yesterday, plus took some pull starts.
    I labeled the tubers up to try and keep a track of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	11834

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I love the systematic approach. It looks like they’re eager to get going.
      Is a pull start done by removing part of the root section (stolon?) and potting up separately? Cultivariable’s guidance which you posted previously is helpful but not entirely clear to me yet!

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Tubers with a long shoot were taken/pulled off and potted up in a separate pot. I just dibbed them in a pot filled with multipurpose, leaving a portion of the shoot above the compost. Tubers with short or no shoots like 3a shoots I pop in a pot and about half cover it with compost. I'll wait until the shoots have grown a little and likely sent out some roots too before removing. I've done the same with the one surviving Bracelet and hope to have several plants to grow this season.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. All clear. A great way to bulk up your supply. Hope the results are great.

My two little True seed oca plants are doing well, they are out in the polytunnel after being potted on, Fleece at the ready if it does get frosty. I've also taken a stem cutting of each, though they are looking a little sad, I think the compost has been too wet.

Name:	039.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	11910

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	11911

Comment

I took a pull start from one of the Bracelet tubers Galin sent and this is looking like it is starting to grow.

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	490.6 KB
ID:	11913

I'll try and do a couple more as soon as the sprouts are big enough, so I have several plants to grow this year from this variety.

Comment

Wow looking good. They seem to be doing well.

Comment

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, though I think this might be the easy bit of growing them!

Opinions re varieties. Far left is Dylan Keating...middle Is their Orange with red eye ( do you think) and no idea of the yellow- all from Realseeds

Comment

Oops pic here now

Comment

They look a good selection, pretty.
            Real seeds I think have a general white one or at least they used to, I'm not sure even if it had a name. Are you growing them in the open ground?

Comment

I am growing in slightly raised bed I grow my beans in. They are at front of border. Lovely wee plants. But trying some in pots too this year Thanks regards name. Still to find a permanent pen that doesn’t fade on my labels.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Soft pencil works for me and labels are reusable too.

• Jang
                Jang commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, agreed. Then collect used ones in a bucket and when running out a bit of scouring powder allows recycling.

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, me too. Very reliable, rarely gets rubbed off by accident and scrubs up easily enough.

I thinkIwill try that as currently playing “ guess the blue potato”

Comment

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                It's always a good game! Good luck

These plants are from the RS tubers post 16 above. I'll plant them out as soon as I get a bit of ground ready for them. I'm not quite sure yet if they are going in my garden plot or alongside the potato patch. It's just a bit mad trying to reclaim garden space back into cultivation, whilst only having one slow gear to do it. Still, I'm loving it, so wonderful to have veggies growing again.

Name:	062.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	605.4 KB
ID:	12633

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking good indeed. I am also digging and planting pretty much one after the other. Just finished the last potatoes. All the favourites are there and found growing space. Pink Dog was the last to go in. And there is space left in the row, so oca it is. I did not plant mine up like you did, no doubt I should have done. They have shoots but no lush green foliage yet.

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Jang, I keep telling myself next year it will be easier!!!!

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                That's fab progress Galina, I'm glad you had room for all your fave tatties. I keep thinking I've left something out but I can't think what! I'm hoping to start a few more in buckets if I get the chance.

I don't think it matters much, oca have a long growing season. I like starting mine off in pots, I guess hoping for some earlier flowers and chance of seeds, but they do just fine planted as tubers in the ground too. They aren't very fussy and catch up very soon.

Finally, I've got the Ocas planted, Hip Hip Hurrah!
              The plants are looking a bit sad, I'm hoping they will pick up now they are planted. I think it's been too hot for them in small little modules and in hindsight, I should have given some shade. Still, I'm happy to have them in the ground, 3 rows of somewhat ropey looking Oca

Comment

I’m sure I beat you for ropiness!
                I left a tray of very over-developed oca growth unguarded for a short time and returned to discover that chickens love the leaves.
                I shall plant the much chewed oca as soon as possible - but it’s a very sorry sight. ☹️☹️

Hope yours perk up quickly now they’re planted.

Comment

Working...
                X