Ulluco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulluco

I had some 'Pink' little tubers in the post today and a couple of yellow ones which look of a similar shape to the ones I already have. Very much hoping they do well, I love these shiny earth jewels. I'd like to build up a few varieties that are able to do ok here. These ones I'll plant in small pots later today, I've not quite planned their final position yet.

The Yellow Long variety, I planted these earlier on (same as the ones shared with the Seed Circle), they are growing a good amount of leaf and will need planting out in a few weeks. Nice to have another variety to add to this remaining one I had from Real Seeds several years ago.

Thank you for mine from the seed circle. Bad experience with slugs has taught me to be very careful. Mine is doing well, but currently kept as a house plant on the windowsill. Do they get attacked by slugs when they are at this stage? About a foot high (but stems are arching)? Or are they safe enough to plant now? I don't want to lose them again and I am perhaps over cautious.

Presumably greenhouse rather than in the garden is the better bet for Ulluco? Any advice appreciated. I only seem to know how NOT to get them to thrive and produce

Comment

Slugs seem to like them any age but mostly when they are young, once they get big enough they seem to be able to grow through most attacks. Voles can be a nightmare both with the tubers in autumn and the fresh stems in spring, I've lost a plant or two to them, they just nibble straight through!
      Mine are out in the polytunnel, have been since I planted them, they have a few nibbles but not major. Greenhouse growing gives them the longer season they need to form tubers, but I'm not sure they like it too hot. I grew some in a fish box last year, worked quite well, I put them out mid summer and they can be brought inside in the autumn. I'm not sure I'm the one to advise. This year I'm going to try some in a fish box again (it was also handy to be able to get them off the ground and away from pesky visitors, but I doubt they will ever produce a big crop like this) I'm going to plant a few in the poly tunnel and some in a bed outside which I'll cover later on. I'm really drawn to Ulluco, I think they are lovely, I'd really like to do a better job with them.

Comment

The little pink tubers I received have nearly all sprouted, which is great
        They are still very small but starting to look like little ulluco plants.

Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	2670

The Yellow ones I planted earlier in the year are looking a somewhat chewed but otherwise fairly healthy.

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	2671

Comment

The pink little Ulluco did ok all things considered, they never got planted out of there pots. The tubers I harvested are really quite small and hardly worth bothering about, but I'll try them again this year and see if they can do a better job planted out.

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	4924

Name:	027.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4925

Here's one of the yellow ones for comparison

Comment

The yellow ones cropped fairly well too, size seemed better than some years too. I've set aside some to plant as they are just starting to sprout, the rest I'm going to eat.

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	4973

Comment

Some new to me Ullucos. I think the yellow is likely the same one as I already have. Loving the colour.

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	5076

Comment

Working...
              X