Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oca Breeding

Anyone up for it?

It's an aim for me this year - breeding a new Wesh Oca - I hope.

It is sill early in the Oca season, mine are planted in pots in the poly tunnel but I won't be planting them out for a while yet. I haven't got as many different varieties as I'd like but I'm fairly certain they have a fair amount of diversity locked up inside. I'm just hoping for the right combination of flowers. The new varieties of Oca I'm growing from seed are growing on well and I wonder if they will flower this year? Also as they are brand spanking new and not from tuber will they be better able to produce seed themselves?

We shall follow with interest. I have sown the oca seeds from you (thank you muchly!) but I am not expecting germination any time soon.

Comment

You may be surprised, the seed is a year fresher than the batch I sowed

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine took what seemed like forever to produce a true leaf, but once they got over that hurdle they made fair progress. Hopefully fore oca babies will be through soon.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, the 'stalled' seedling has put out the tiniest true leaf (just making a liar out of me regarding the post 2 days ago), a further 3 have sprouted today. All still tiny, but getting there Jayb you were right they are sprouting a bit faster than yours did.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent! I'm so chuffed, four more Oca varieties, hope they are good ones for you.

These bad boys arrived today from ocabreeders.org - not sure where I'm going to put them all, but how exciting! I have to report back on how they do. Some might crop well and some might be rubbish, but look at the variety in colours. Very cool.

They were apparently all bred in Cornwall.

Hopefully I'll get some seeds from them, assuming some are compatible.

Comment

There are some unusual colour combinations. Hope you will get a good conventional harvest. A seed harvest would be extra good.

Comment

They look stunning, love the colour combinations
          Hope they do really well for you, I'm looking forward to their progress. Are you going to grow them in a bed or containers?

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
            They look stunning, love the colour combinations
            Hope they do really well for you, I'm looking forward to their progress. Are you going to grow them in a bed or containers?
            One of each are going in my new planter boxes with the experimental peas and TPS. I already have some pink and red oca in there. I'm thinking another one of each in old compost bags - containers for nothing!

That leaves 9 tubers to be accommodated. I'm still thinking about them.

Comment

I think the most fun thing about these is that I'm helping to contribute towards developing better UK varieties too.

Comment

Sounds great, it really will be brilliant when progress is made and good luck with homes for the remaining nine.

Comment

Selection of plants for breeding with - hopefully. These are still in quite small pots but I hope to be planting them out soon.

Oca plants for breeding
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	2684

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hope you will end up with a super selection of different types. Good strong looking plants. The plants out in the garden are no bigger at the moment and I expect them to produce a harvest. I am sure yours will too.

• jayb
                    jayb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I think they will be fine, I'm sure I remember reading they can go out surprising late in the season and still produce a crop, though with these it's the flowers I'll be hoping for.

Am not on Owen's trial, but I am trying to get bigger tubers. I planted out in July last year and had a great crop from the tubers. It didn't seem to make a jot of difference between those and the March planted ones.

Comment

Good to know, I've not planted them that late before. Nice colours, are they pink and orange, or is it a pale red?

Comment

They are pink & white and a kind of peachy orange. I don't like the peachy colour much but the tubers are bigger and longer. Pink & white seem to be more stubby.

Comment

They look great Sparrow, and so big!

Comment

Yes, they are much larger than I have seen. When you plant, what is your spacing Sparrow? Like potatoes or closer together? Interesting that you can plant so late. They do need the benign weather at the end of the season (until we get better adapted ones), and not so much the earlier growing time? Much to learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X