Bolivian Giant Achocha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolivian Giant Achocha

I liked these! Never thought I'd say that about Achocha. Lovely large fruits, taste seems better than the smaller cousins plus usable for longer. This'll be the second year I've grown them, this time from saved round seeds,rather than the regular type shaped seeds. Though they may not in turn produce round seeds, I'm interested to see though. I'll grow one in the big polytunnel and also try a couple outside and see how they fair. I probably won't sow seeds for a few weeks yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	5358

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	5359

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	5360
    Last edited by Admin; 05-04-2016, 10:11. Reason: Add tags

I may have jumped the gun...I planted a couple today.

Comment

I don't think it's too early to sow they are quite accommodating and love to grow. But I'm in no rush as I've nowhere for them or most other things to go yet! Lots and lots of work to do, but my pace is incredibly slow!
      Self sown Achochas don't start germinating here til later on (if they do at all) so I think perhaps they generally aren't in too much of a rush, coupled with they don't start producing until late in the year.

Comment

Thanks for that. I try to get sorted as much as I can these two weeks ( my leave) before back at the coal face

Comment

Mine is ready to plant out! But can equally stay in the pot for a bit longer. At least I sowed into a slightly larger pot expecting a romp-away. The second seed has yet to germinate. Other seeds still safely in their packet should a re-sow be needed. This plant is lush looking.
          Last edited by Galina; 08-04-2016, 11:15.

Comment

One seed has germinated

Comment

That's come up quite fast!

Have just noticed that the foliage is also different from the achochas I have grown previously (Lady's slipper and Fat Baby), not just the seeds. It is more similar to Lady's Slipper, but different.

‚Äč

Comment

Looks great Galina
                Sorry the other one hasn't germinated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
                  One seed has germinated
                  Yayyy, grow little one

Comment

Well this the first time I'm growing achocha, seeds were from you. It''s been growing in the greenhouse in the pot. Can I know plant it outside in the soil or should I wait a bit more?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by clumsy; 29-05-2016, 18:47.

Comment

Same here, Clumsy. Wondering about planting out. It's attached itself to my green house hoe in two days.

Comment

I plant in the greenhouse by the door. When they have outgrown their space, I direct them outside and can still close the door almost fully. Under cloches works too and later the cloche gets removed and the plant gets supported to grow upwards on an obelisk or on some 8ft canes etc. Last year I grew Achocha (the Ladies Finger type) near to the hedge and they scrambled up the hedge beautifully. Once they get going, they are rampant. They can cover fences too.

Comment

Looks great
                          I'm probably a bit milder here than you, though likely not such warm daytimes temps, if that makes sense, but yes I think your plant looks well grown and conditions should be good by now. They like a nice warm, sunny spot and although deceptive at first make huge rambling plants. Exciting, your plant is much bigger than mine, nice to see the bigger leaves, mine are still quite immature. Jumping ahead, I'll be very interested to hear what shape seeds your fruit have, whether they will be round or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
                            Same here, Clumsy. Wondering about planting out. It's attached itself to my green house hoe in two days.
                            Lol, you have a triffid in the making!

Comment

• Galina
                              Galina commented
                              Editing a comment
                              lovely plant, Clumsy

From memory - you had both round and squarish shapes, Jayb? The first achocha seed that looks like a cucurbit seed, not like a dead fly

Comment

Working...
                            X