No announcement yet.

Bolivian Giant Achocha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	giaachmatureseeds.JPG Views:	1 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	8656

Yes, they've suddenly grown. Keep going! I have harvested a couple and used like courgettes, now that the courgettes are all but gone. And I have got some black seeds which I am very happy about and of course happy to share. Round seeds again, that trait seems stable.
    Last edited by Galina; 05-10-2017, 23:06.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Smooth, round.

You updated it with a photo. I think I will be asking you for seed unfortunately. Mine is stuck I have two small fruit on the whole plant. I noticed these spikes this morning on the fruit. Mine is very yellow the cold has effected it.

Comment

You are very welcome to seeds Clumsy. I have some fruit with spikes too. Have now harvested quite a number of black seeds. My plant is also very yellow and I have harvested several of the achocha fruits. What a difference from last year.
      Last edited by Galina; 11-10-2017, 16:22.

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Envy seeing the photos of your harvest. Next year it will be different hopefully.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        It's just luck. Really envied yours last year and let's not talk about your great cucumbers

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes luck plays a big part in growing vegetables.

I've pulled the plant out with it turning yellow and the frost predicted tomorrow. This is what I got from it.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        That's sad, not much to show for. My plant that was entirely grown outdoors has now also got large fruits, but not as many as the one that was started in the greenhouse. I don't understand, as both your and my seeds came from exactly the same fruits. No difference. However, I have a good many 2017 seeds (and also Petit Gris de Rennes melon seeds) with your name on it.

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's okay at least I got two. I don't mind it happens, too many variables in growing you can't point a finger at anything. Wow yes would love some seeds. Funnily enough I was looking at the seed website's of melons. Thankyou for the kind offer.

Mine is starting to produce.

Comment

Planted all of mine in the greenhouse.

Comment

I found that mine soon outgrew their space in the greenhouse and I had to direct them out of the door to continue growing outside or I would not have had any space left in the greenhouse for other plants. This was ok because I had planted them by the side of the door and when they were growing outside, they were on the north side and did not shade other greenhouse plants.

Mine only just have their first set of true leaves, miles behind yours Clumsy. I wonder whether they will go back into the greenhouse or whether they should go under a cloche outside to be more manageable. But that decision is a good month away here. Best of luck for this year.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Because of the mouse I changed my mind what I want to put in their. Keep blocking the holes it makes one bit further along.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you flood and collapse the tunnel at the end of the hole? About 3 large watering can fulls should do it. And or fill the holes with gravel, then water. I have several holes I am struggling with at the moment too. And it is tedious to protect beans and peas with bottles, but those which are not, are at risk. If you trap them in a live trap, you need to let them out a mile away or across a river or they will find their way back. Hate them. The family with three cats has moved away, so their number is rising again here.

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried the watering but it kept coming back.

I've pulled out the broad beans and the winterkefe peas if you look in the corner right hand side I kept blocking it with palleted wood. I just planted sweet peppers, tomato plant, malabar spinach, melon plants, achocha plants.

Comment

My Giant Bolivians are again doing well this year.

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow they are big. I haven't been since the last harvest it's cold stayed in.

• Yes definitely cold out there. First slight frost too. The Asian courgette plants are all gone, they went a week ago, but the fruits are fine. The achocha are in a sheltered spot and still no deterioration and none of the yellow leaves yet that we both got in previous years. Yours look good too though and I bet you also had black seeds in your fruit. If not, I have to share.

Dug up the last potatoes, Palest Pink Eye from Jayb. They just breezed through blight this year and the foliage was still blight free today. Got 4 berries from them too, one large and 3 smaller. This is excellent, because if PPE itself deteriorates, I will be able to carry on with its wonderful genes.

I now have red fruits on both chilis from you Clumsy, so saving seed from those too. And the Canadian Wild Goose bean have done very well too. So pleased with them. Leprechaun which is handpollinated is still growing, I want to give it as much time as possible for mature seeds, but am ready to get it in quick if we get a proper frost.

Still waiting on Long White, only managed one handpollinated fruit quite late and it does look a little thin at the top. I hope it is not seedless. Still harvesting beans and many are very late this year. The runnerbeans which have been so plentiful unfortunately have stopped entirely, foliage looking good, but no flowers and no beans. I will dig up the roots and overwinter for an early start next year.

Just done a bit of digging and tidying. The thick grass mulch which I put over the harvested potato areas is disappearing into the beds already, worms must be busy.

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              Too wet to dig here. I'll have a walk to the allotment tomorrow hopefully to see what's going on as long as it's not raining. Your beans you gave me the Austrian one's should be getting near to harvest will take a photo to show. I'll have to see how the squashes are getting on plus harvest rest of the courgettes.

• The achocha seemed to have survived the frost forgot to take a photo started to rain.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Good, frosts are mostly light and we might yet get very good growing weather in the rest of October, fingers crossed. I have now harvested at least 20 black achocha seeds this year so there are plenty to share. The courgettes are seriously slowing down and most plants have had it, so are the cucumbers in the greenhouse. But the achocha are still producing great and lots more small fruit to come, just waiting for a decent October. Glad yours are also good for a bit longer.

• The photo of the plant it's huge just from one side. I can't get into the greenhouse I haven't watered it I'n not sure where it is getting the water from. It keeps growing.

Comment

• Wild.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                That is h u g e !

• triffid
                triffid commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely some triffid genetics in that achocha

• Harvested majority of them.

Comment

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, some haul, they do look good. How do you use them?

• We are both still growing from what were your original seeds Jayb. I use as courgette replacement now that courgettes are over. But they also make great dinner party treats, halved, seeds taken out, filled with spiced minced beef or suitable bean based veggie filling, and baked in a tomato sauce. Really nice starter. The ones from you are very smooth and large and ........................ ta da! they are finally ripening earlier.

I am most successful growing them this way: Starting off indoors them plant just behind the door of the greenhouse. When they take off they get brushed outside and continue growing outside, but in the somewhat sheltered area next to the greenhouse. And they love it.

Comment

• clumsy
                clumsy commented
                Editing a comment
                I sliced and diced them in the mince to mix. If you google keema recipe with peas. I substitute the peas with achocha.

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Mmm, sounds good Clumsy.

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovely suggestions Galina, thanks. Will defo try and get some planted next year.
                I'm so glad you are having success in reducing days to maturity, brilliant!
            Working...
            X