No announcement yet.

Bolivian Giant Achocha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologies for delay. Work a bit crazy. Another kind member had offered me 3 they had spare. So sorted but greatly appreciate all your offers. I really have a thing for this plant, so delighted. Not least as grow around front door and postman asks every Spring if replanting the Triffid.

Comment

• Thank you to kindness here, I planted up three smooth seeds yesterday There is nothing quite like the anticipation of watching a pot for signs of srouting......now to check daily.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I know that feeling, I've got to be the world's worst for pot/compost watching!

• I've just sown mine today.

Comment

• How exciting, a Giant Achocha fest in the making!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2779.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	12194

My Giant Bolivian Achocha from angular seeds. I have another plant but much smaller from a second sowing still indoors. This one is sitting in a hokey cokey builders box.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Both plants are now in the greenhouse corner and I will do the same thing again. When they take off I will 'shoo' them outside, so that the bulk of the plant is between the greenhouse and the fence. Wish me luck that the angular seeded type works as well as the round seeded type did.

• Growing well, I thought at first a couple of plants. The hokey cokey is certainly working well for them.
          My plants have gone a little yellow, I think poor quality compost with not much in it to keep them growing.

Comment

• Seedling from Jang really getting going in its big container for front goor trellis. Seed I ordered from ebay still not arrived but spotted these in my squash container. Is it wishful thinking or is this Achocha self seeded seedlings?
            Attached Files

Comment

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              It looks like it. Is the other def. a squash in the picture it looks very similar to Fat Baby?

• Ah sorry, should have said. There is a massive Lunga di Napoli squash in there and four wee seedlings. Amazing how little surprises turn up

Comment

• I have one round seeded, one angular seeded and two Fat Babies growing along a length of wire mesh fence about four or five feet high and maybe twenty feet long. If they take off over the fence they'll be growing over wood chip and manure heaps. I'm interested to see how much growth they produce and whether the four plants end up in a grand tangle. So far they're being quite refined.

Comment

Working...
              X