Ocas grown from seed 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocas grown from seed 2016

A range of plants growing from a mix of my saved seed from 2015 and Cultivariables seed (saved 2014). A nice range of types showing quite a bit of diversity in the leaves and stems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	6856

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	6857

Name:	011.JPG
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	6858

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	6859

Name:	010.JPG
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	6860

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6861

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	6862

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	6863

Pretty! These are from seeds this year? Oh well done you! Are these a spray of set flowers? Pretty impressive.

Mine have produced one flower and no compatible mate so far and they were from seeds last year and from tuber presents. I fear despite watering, it may have been too dry for them, although the plants look good. Hope these will harvest well too. Do you have more beaches for names?

Comment

Yes seed sown this year, I'm absolutely gutted I never got to plant my saved ones from last year! Very lucky to have lots of beaches around here, though I'm not sure these will harvest as well as they have not been grown as well and voles look to be a problem already! Fingers crossed though. I haven't had much time to check them, but I might be lucky with some seeds, I'll have to spend a little time and see whats what.

What a shame not many flowering, but still time if they are just about there.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Have dug up Pobbles, Bracelet and Redley. The plants looked great and I had them cloched to extend the growing season. When I lifted the cloche a few days ago I had quite a shock. The plants were mostly dead as expected but also loose and detached from the tubers. Something had been at them and eaten most of the tubers. I managed to rescue a few small tubers only and, in the case of Pobbles, a bit of plant that will hopefully root. The rest? Voles? Never had oca problems like this before and I am sad that my intention to return tubers to you after your loss Jayb, is delayed. I can manage a small tuber each for Bracelet and Redley, if this helps. Exactly the same with the tubers from Silverleaf. Not much better with my tubers from seed or my traditional common oca in the garden.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes mice and voles can do huge damage, or at least that's my experience and I know from other crops you have chatted about you seem to have a similar problem up with you.

I've harvested the three plants today. So I'm happy with the results. I'm not sure how it compares with others. The plants had not died fully but I thought best to get them out before it gets really cold.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Clumsy, it compares very, very well. I had a near wipe-out this year. Probably voles have got a taste for them. Last year was much better. Congratulations on your bounty

Those look good results Clumsy
      The plants your tubers came from harvested 1.376, 1.065 and 1.280 kilos in their first season.

If you are growing these on again this year, could I ask you to save me one of each as I don't have stock for them, I'd be very grateful and more than happy to cover postage etc

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to send some earlier n the year but I had an big issue earlier in the year where I lost them and other seeds . I'm having to start fresh with everything this year. I'm really sorry jayb you have no idea how bad I feel and after reading your comment...

I wanted to grow more of the yellow one it produce a bigger better harvest than the red.

I really feel for you losing your stock clumsy and I apologize if I've missed reading about it here or on A4A, I've just not caught up with lots of things yet. I don't have any proven oca plants this year as I ended up mostly just salvaging the crop from last year. But I have started about 30 of these different varieties and I've recently sown some seed and if all goes well I'll keep you some from the largest harvesters come the autumn. I've probably got a few spare tubers I'd be happy to send you for this season could, though I can't comment on how well they would do?

Gosh no, please don't feel bad, it's my own fault for not being able to look after them.

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        I would take up the offer but I have only one plot this year so space is tight. I have a charity plot but being me everything grown on their will go to charity instead.

These are the selection of plants I'm growing this year from tubers salvaged from last years 2016 seed sown harvest. Picture was taken at the beginning of May. Quite a bit of variation and growth rates. Mice culled out a further couple too . I've been a bit slow planting them out, into a raised ridge, they should take off and grow!

Name:	052.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	7815

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Look how many plants you have. You must have lot of space to grow all these wonderful plants

I'm really lucky on growing space and really appreciate being able to trial different things. Though I'm actually not managing to do much gardening and lots is overgrown and very weedy. I'm trying to get it back under control and it would be lovely to be on top of, but it won't happen this year!

Comment

Well, Mr Mole has a fixitaion for ploughing up my Oca. Trying Realseed's Sesam Orange and Dylan Keatings - as well as the one Ive been selecting for size/ smoothness. Love oca.
        Last edited by Hector1; 04-06-2017, 20:18. Reason: typo

Comment

I've grown Dylan Keating's previously, very pretty. Sesam Orange, what a lovely colour, I'll be interested to know how they crop and taste for you. I loved the look of the pink one at Real Seeds, but couldn't justify it this year!
          How are your selections for smoothness and size going? Are you aiming at larger individual tubers?

Comment

They are pretty...hopefully I can share next season. I too liked the pink but restrained myself

I'm really pleased with the ones we have selected from own grown. We are retaining for both smoothness and larger size as thinking better to prepare over time. Got my originals from Ian Pearson. They love the semi raised bed we have them in....not sure if its new rescue cat or raised bed last season but vole issue ( touch wood) seems to have significantly decreased.

Comment

Sounds like they are loving your conditions (apart from the voles). Ian was well into his Oca, anyone heard from him recently? I've not seen him on A4A for yonks.

What colour are the tubers you are selecting from?

Comment

Working...
              X