Tree Spinach, Chenopodium giganteum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree Spinach, Chenopodium giganteum

Lots of volunteer seedlings sprouting, a welcome edible and so pretty My picture doesn't do it justice. One for the Seed Circle again perhaps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	077.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	7927

Love this....accidental bonus was finding it made rice pinkish

Comment

Isn't that gorgeous?

Comment

Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
        Love this....accidental bonus was finding it made rice pinkish
        Yes the colour is amazing, so many things just go green when they are cooked!
        I've got plants sprouting in all the wrong places, I think I'll transplant some to a better location.

Comment

Found a self seeded one yesterday!!!!

Comment

Lol, brilliant. Where there is one....
            I've got quite a little patch down the bottom of the plot. Plus I uncovered a bit of ground in the garden recently, I've been using it for standing pots mostly with perennials or shrubby things waiting to be planted out for the last few years. but I've made 3 little veggie beds out of it now. Not sure how but I've had a few pop up in there too, it's quite some distance from where any have been grown previously. Probably my naff attempts at winnowing in the wind!

Comment

These are growing rapidly now, the patch is taking over, I've left one half unpicked for seed.

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	8309

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	8310

Comment

Wee self seeding ones turning up in all sorts of places...including propagator.

Comment

How do you cook with yours?

Comment

I’ve never got round to using mine but certainly I believe the young leaves are good eaten fresh in salad.

I acquired it originally as Magenta Spreen because Carol Deppe enthused so much about it. I can’t remember how she used it. Must have a browse.

Comment

Lol they do get about!
                      I just noticed some growing in a mud crusty path. Will try to transplant to a better spot.
                      We love them lightly stirfried with whatever is being cooked. Also steamed or lightly cooked/boiled with a little dab of butter and pepper. Garlic added, wild or bulb works great too. It's not the most exciting vegetable but it produces tender tips in abundance which are tasty enough and they do look pretty. I also like them finely sliced added to salad leaves etc.

Comment

Yes, self seed everywhere...no idea how but some appeared in Chili pots. Thanks for cooking tips, appreciated

Comment

Working...
                        X