No announcement yet.

Yacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress update they are doing good. If you look at the photo the stems from each pot goes 3,2,1 from let to right.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh, they are really are coming on a treat, love how they are dividing so rapidly, mine are pretty much sticking with the one main stem at the moment.

Latest update. They are getting bigger.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Growing fast!

Click image for larger version

Name:	51E3807F-115E-4151-B016-77090B9955F7.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	12519 Wee signs of live showing with mine too.
    Last edited by Hector1; 10-05-2020, 19:23.

Comment

How big a bucket and how many crowns per bucket do you folk recommend. Got a few wee sprots in small posts, so going to grow in containers but do not want to overcrowd

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to plant them direct into soil.

The yacon plant is very big plus has flowers thank you galina wanted to show the progress. I kept one plant and the other two I ended giving to fellow plot holder in the allotments since I didn't have enough room at home.

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        The honest truth nothing just water. This year just left things grow and only fed water or rain water. I actually didn't add anything in the soil. Could be that it's new and the nutrients in ground are enough for it. But the plant could be very big but nothing in the roots, just used it's energy to get big. I'll find out what it's like when I dig it out.

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the watering is the difference. I know mine wilted with dryness for awhile and because they were quite a way from an easy water source I just crossed my fingers and hoped with all those storage organs they’d be OK. And they probably will be but much less magnificent than yours.
        Even though I‘ve just realised I claimed they were 18 feet high!

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        The plant is actually around 5 feet tall, I was standing on top of the raised bed to take the photo of the flowers.

Well I thought I'll harvest it today, even though it's still pretty well growing. Thank you Galina. I'll have to find out the plot holders I gave the spare plants to and see how if they have harvested theirs yet.

Comment

Looking very good Clumsy. Glad they did well for you. The very nobbly grown together 'things' at the top are the starts for next year. Just trim with at least one growth point and put in a pot in spring. Leave the top uncut to store over winter. The unbroken tubers also store for several months. Very nice.

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately I reburied it straight after the harvested covered with the stems and leaves.

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          If they get frosted you may lose them.

I'm very impressed by the amount of growth in a single season. I may have to try them out for myself

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Shall I include a small starter or two of galena's excellent red yacon in with your seeds from the Seed Circle, triffid?

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Jang I would love to see how the harvest is compared.

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm galina you have a point, and I'm a little concerned by the resemblance!

That would be a very welcome addition Jang, thank you.

I'm sorry, clumsy, I missed your comment until now. My harvest was quite poor, certainly compared with yours. I think I said earlier that I was aware that I let them dry out for a week or two during the driest part of summer. I'm realising that although they survive dry conditions, the fruit (not sure what term to use for the different parts) don't develop as well as when they're kept well watered.
        Unfortunately I didn't take any photos when I harvested them but have just been to take pictures of the total fruit - except for a couple roasted and enjoyed yesterday - and of the tuber sections for planting next year after the last frost. I shall put them into a tray with dryish compost for the winter. As you can see, not a lot of eating tubers from the number of plants I had.
        I think yours are a brighter red than mine, just part of the range of possible colouring I imagine.

After roasting the yacon yesterday I remembered that the sweet flavour comes out much more fully after they've been stored for a while, three or four weeks perhaps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	13441 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1421.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	13442 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	13444
        Attached Files

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably got lucky with mine. I bet next year you'll have bumper and the reverse for me this usually happens. Interesting about the colour difference.I think my soil is very rich in nutrients as it is.
      Working...
      X