Sowing peas 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sowing peas 2020

I realise that here there are very experienced pea growers with lots of breeding experience.
    I've grown peas not very well for ages but just a very limited range of standards.
    I'm now interested in doing a bit of tentative breeding but in the meantime have enjoyed just researching and planning to sample some of the range of interesting varieties available. Many of these are thanks to Triffid's generosity and that, together with postings here, is what has really fired my interest. Other than that I've tried to get hold of some of the Kapuler varieties I'm aware of.

So here is what I've sown so far. I'm planning still to sow Carouby de Mausanne and Alderman which I've grown before and saved seed from.

Oregon Sugar Pod 28/1
    Douce Provence. 11/2
    Meteor 15/2
    Avi Juan. 16/2
    Stokesley 16/2
    Prew's Special 16/2
    Magnolia Blossom 16/2
    Freer's Mummy 19/2
    Kent Blue 19/2
    Bijou 19/2
    Bullroyd Bean Pea 19/2
    Irish Prean 19/2
    Robinson 19/2
    Panthers 19/2
    Sugar Magnolia 24/2
    Sugaree 24/2
    Clarke’s Betony Blue 24/2
    Opal Creek 24/2

I’ve started these in root trainers, two to a cell and in most cases eight cells of each variety.

This is fun! The pea bug continues to spread. What are your breeding plans for this lot? Just fyi Irish Prean and Bullroyd are very late if I recall correctly. And tall! Panthers was one of the earliest.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Opal Creek x Sugar Magnolia is a cross I also made a few years back but didn't have the chance to grow out. I think it would be a cracking little number.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I’m looking forward very much to having a go. It seems a great project to cut my teeth on.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Way to go!

That's a great list, a bit of everything.
    Have you started them undercover?

Yumm, Alderman they are such a lovely tall pea, I'm hoping to grow lots this year.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I have them germinating in warmth and then under lights for a week or two, then into the greenhouse.
      Pleasing germination so far.

Crikey, I am behind you folks. Planted Sugar Magnolia, Golden Sweet, Sugar Blush and Opal Creek, in Root trainers at weekend and previous weekend. Poor germination of older Golden Sweet - planted more to compensate , so waiting for them to shock me and all take

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      A very nice selection.
      Good luck with that second sowing of Golden Sweet. Hope they show willing. At least you don’t need too many plants for a good feed or seed save.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope the Golden Sweet make it. Hope they all take and do their stuff for you Hector.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      You and me both, thiough I trailing you! But as the weather is back to where it normally is perhaps it is ok.

Originally posted by triffid View Post
    This is fun! The pea bug continues to spread. What are your breeding plans for this lot? Just fyi Irish Prean and Bullroyd are very late if I recall correctly. And tall! Panthers was one of the earliest.
    Panthers is indeed the first in flower apart from the standard early, Douce Provence. Great to see.

(Picking Oregon Sugar Pod, Douce Provence and Meteor from the polytunnel, together with a few Grano Violetto broad beans. Lovely when the pea and bean eating season starts.)

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Still waiting impatiently for the first flowers. Enjoy Jang.

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great Jang! I wish I was growing Panthers this year. It really is marvelous imo.
      The first to flower here (mid-April) were overwintered Fruher Heinrich. Munched on the first pod yesterday. No broad beans yet.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations on your over-wintered pea success, triffid. I’ve tried to overwinter in the polytunnel so many times but they have always got munched by rodents even when two or three inches high. I have high hopes for Galina’s bottle defences next winter though. 🤞

Hope your flowering - and no doubt the activity that follows - isn’t too far away, Galina.

I only sowed the few seeds from jayb can't remember the variety unfortunately. They are coming along nicely.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      They are looking good. Mangetouts or shelling peas?
Working...
X