Sugar Magnolia. Green pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Magnolia. Green pods

As well as the variability of tendril, my Sugar Magnolia is producing a fair number of entirely green pods. It’s quite difficult to track whether it’s just one plant as there’s quite a tangle. If it’s one plant it’s a very strong growing one, as there’s quite a high incidence of green.

I'm wondering whether this is within the range of variability or whether the seed has been mixed up somewhere along the line. It was bought from Plants of Distinction

I have a photo somewhere of a whole row of SMs at various shades of plain green to fully purple. Bit pushed for time to find it but it is on here somewhere and I have also posted it on A4A at some stage. These purple genes are fickle, no really, they are fickle. The fade with the weather, they fade when the plant ages and they mutate to green as fast as you can say purple. Whatever has caused yours, please only save seed from good solid purple ones. It could be a genetically intact colour fade that comes back fine next year, but a mutation to green is probably more likely. Of course the same goes for red, which is a modified purple. A mix up is less likely. I found that the rate of mutation is much higher in mangetouts and snaps and less likely in shelling peas. My red shelling pea has stayed beautifully red for generations.

If anybody understands the genetics behind this pod colour difference between shellers and mangetout and snap, I would be delighted to find out.

I think I said at one stage that the genetics is ultimately not as important as what you see on the ground, because so many things cannot be explained, certainly not by me.

Comment

I’ve found a photo which is perhaps the one at,
      https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...nolia-snap-pea

Mine are totally green, looking more like Magnolia Blossom than Sugar Magnolia. Photo to come.
      Interestingly my purples are fairly steadily dark plain purple. And yes, I’ll definitely save seed from the purplest
      Last edited by Jang; 24-06-2020, 06:51.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A691E7C-57E4-4DCF-9DAA-22EAB75BD7D2.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	12981
        The green podded plant on Sugar Magnolia

Comment

Fascinating. Mine are just flowering, so will monitor.

Comment

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Were your seeds from Plants of Distinction?

Oh wow that is green, doubt it is SM, but who knows. Have you checked the funiculi?

Comment

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Not thought to check. Will inspect later today.
            It’s been surprisingly difficult to disentangle the plants well enough to work out whether a flower for potential crossing belongs to a green podded plant or a purple, and of course early ones could be doubtful. Ah well ....

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Green funiculi.Green through and through!

Jang, yes my seeds from Plants of Distinction

Comment

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Will be interested to see whether you get the green pods too.

Have you had any parsley-type tendrils?
        Working...
        X