Yellow podded white flowered pea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow podded white flowered pea?

Anyone know if there's a decent tall pea with yellow pods and white flowers (no antho) out there somewhere? I was just messing around with tree diagrams for crosses I'm planning, and it would make my yellow podded green flowered project a lot easier if I didn't have to deal with antho!

I just think that green flowers get a bit lost in the green of the foliage, they'd stand out so much better with a yellow calyx.

Well it took a bit of research, but it seems like Opal Creek would fit the bill nicely. Anyone know any others?

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I have some spare Opal Creek if that would help.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I liked the punnet square explanation in your link, Galina. The tree diagram sounds very interesting as well. Is there any way you could send an example of one you’ve done, Silverleaf, as a photo image perhaps? Can be as rough as you like!

• Silverleaf
      Silverleaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Jan, but I’ve ordered some.

I’m planning on doing a proper post about these diagrams later, and I’ll probably also make a video explaining how I draw them.

It’s basically a probability diagram stolen from mathematics, because if you’re trying to work out the ratios of different phenotypes it’s really just probability.

Each “node” of the tree represents a locus and we concentrate on them one at a time - you see with the Elisabeth x Beacon cross that at the first node the plant can either be B_ (meaning it has at least one copy of B but we can’t know what the other one is - and it actually doesn’t matter) or bb. 3/4 chance of B_, 1/4 of bb.

Then we move to the next node, where the B_ plant can either be Ce_ or cece and the bb plant can also either be Ce_ or cece. That’s four different possible phenotypes, one for each branch of the tree.

B_ Ce_ Wild type
    B_ cece Cerise
    bb Ce_ Pink
    bb cece Light rose

The probabilities are worked out by multiplying the fractions along the branches from the “root” to the “tip” You might remember this from school, but to do this we need to multiply the top numbers together to get the new top number, and the bottom numbers together to get the new bottom number. So 3/4 x 3/4 = 9/16 for the top branch, 3/4 x 1/4 = 3/16 for the next, and so on.

The Golden Sweet x NightMist is the same thing but with three loci to worry about rather than two. I’ve been lazy with not writing out fractions properly and I didn’t really have space for writing out the genotypes - but I can see those from reading across the tree anyway.

Please don’t worry if this doesn’t make sense, I’m sleep deprived and just threw this together quickly so it’s my fault! I’ll describe it better when I write it up in its own thread.

Comment

Also I know they look scary. They absolutely aren’t when you know what they represent, and they are much much simpler than stupid old Punnett squares.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Silverleaf, In your second example IF A is not an issue because you do not start with wild flowering Golden Sweet but with Opal Creek (both Opal Creek and Nightmist are a), then it also becomes a two factor cross and your chance of getting green flowers and yellow pods is 1 in 16, rather than 1 in 64. Statistically much easier to achieve.

I can see why it makes more sense to make this cross with Opal Creek.
        Last edited by Galina; 14-04-2021, 11:42.

• Silverleaf
        Silverleaf commented
        Editing a comment
        That was exactly my logic! It makes a huge difference in how many F2s I’d need to grow to be reasonably confident of seeing the phenotype I want.

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for these, Silverleaf. I’m understanding bits and look forward to your further posts/video. A video would be great!
    Working...
    X