Snow peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow peas

I had the impression that snow pea is simply the American term for what is labelled as mangetout in UK.

However, Sutton seeds have now started to use the term snow pea for a large mangetout. They market the Alan Kapuler variety Green Beauty and describe it as a snow pea which they define as a large mangetout. I can't decide whether this is a desirable development or not. Presumably they would call Oregon Giant and Bijou snow peas too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	13998

I agree this is dubious. Commercial naming is always a bit suspect. But why wouldn't large mangetouts or snow pea qualify for the name mangetout or snow pea? They are not actually different. Looking over at beans many are less than 20cm long, others make nearly 30cm and they are still the same species.

Here they are talking dumb to the customer who only knows mangetouts from stir fries at a takeaway which are harvested when shorter and at the same time they are making these sound as something quite exquisite and exclusive. Commercial naming meets marketing meets their expectation what a seed buyer might understand.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it definitely smacks of rather cynical marketing. No mention of Alan Kapuler as breeder either. So talking dumb as you say and assuming a customer who is going to be easily impressed by something apparently different and with no interest in a variety's history or its place within its species

I’ve always preferred to use “snow pea” for the flat edible pods and “snap pea” for the thick round ones, because technically “mangetout” could refer to either one - you can “eat all” of both types!

The other day I watched someone on a YouTube video raving about how good Sugar Ann is. He picked a pod, opened it, ate all the tiny peas and then dropped the lovely juicy pod on the floor!!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you commented! Sacrilege. I got given seeds of a couple of new to me peas to try in a seed swap earlier this year. I always had problems with the shorter peas, but this year the new to me Sugar Bon which is a snap if I got it right, and De Grace, which is a snow or mangetout are already flowering, so a taste may not be too far away. Much looking forward to that.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a common problem, not mentioning the breeder, but using their varieties and, frankly, abusing their breeding to make money for themselves. Presumably this variety is not OSSI licensed either, but I am not familiar with Green Beauty. I remember telling a seed library that Green Zebra is not a historical variety, but a modern variety bred by Tom Wagner. They really should have known better.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't grown Green Beauty before, but read a comment by Andrew Barney on OSSI forum that led me to decide to try it:
      "Yes, Green Beauty is a keeper. Might be my pick if I only had to pick one. This year i'm testing a bunch of new "Beauty" lines also bred by Alan Kapuler and his daughter. I'll let you know how they stack up to Green Beauty." (http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/f...hp?topic=544.0)
Working...
X