• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Peas

A selection of F3 Crown peas

And some more...

Comment

Such exquisite flower colours - stunning!

Comment

Thank you
        I think I'm in love with Crown type peas

Comment

Pinks!

Comment

Exquisite colours

Comment

Whites.

Comment

Purple.

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                  Exquisite colours

I can't believe how many shades of pink are displayed from these two crosses, lots of fun

Comment

Sorry to bump this old thread, but Jayb, what was the parental line for the crown pea? And love these colours, v jealous...

Comment

They are from two lines that I merged and grew together, Salmon Flowered was the crown part in both crosses. I hadn't been able to track down any other Crown types that were much different from salmon flowered, I'm sure there must be some but in the end it just seemed easier to try and breed some myself.

Crosses Salmon Flowered x Alderman and Salmon Flowered x Doug Bray of Grimsby.

Comment

I've got a determinate snowpea, not as clustered as yours, but still bearing most of its pods in the top10-12 inches. It's from an ag breeding research line, and was the basis for my Jupiter purple snow. A bit of copper spray on these - downy mildew.
                        not the best example, but all the others are so tangled it's difficult to see whats going on

Comment

• Galina
                          Galina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          in 2016 I have grown 'Mummy White' for the first time. Apart from thinking that it was like the shorter crown pea we know and growing without sufficient support, it is very similar to your ag breeding line, Templeton. Just white flowered and green podded. I think of it as a multiflowered tall pea, rather than a typical 2ft and a bit crown pea, like Salmon Flowered.

Good looking pods, nicely placed too.

There's been a load of variety with pod types from these two crosses, I've not been very thorough, they are mostly divided into Crown types or not. Quite a few have been similar to the picture you show, they are mostly from medium height vines and generally quite productive. I have noted in particular some of the crown types are poor at setting pods, might just be my growing conditions, they've tended to be later sown than I'd normally do. Seed count can be quite light too, I'm wondering if this harks back to more primitive origins of the tufted/crown peas?

Comment

Jayb, how many pods would a typical 1 metre high plant get? I'm a bit worried mine are under performing - that i might have selected for shy production somewhere in the last 6 generations. This growout of ~ 50 plants seems to be averaging 12-14 pods per plant. It's not a huge issue, just plant more seeds, but more production would be nice.

Comment

Now your asking, I'm afraid I've no idea. The ones in your picture above look to have a fair set particularly as they are being grown out of season. Galina is more likely to be able to give a good answer.

Comment

Working...
                            X