A bit of a splish splash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of a splish splash

I've not seen anything like this colour pattern before, love to know what it is called? I'm guessing it's not really a bip type and nothing else leapt out at me on http://data.jic.ac.uk/pgene/

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4745 (2).JPG Views:	2 Size:	289.4 KB ID:	14697

No not bip but what on earth? This is pretty amazing Jayb.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if not a gene then a mutation perhaps?

This morning I went to take some more photos, but in this heat we are currently having here, the bloom was already faded.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Trust there will be more and that they will also have this very unusual trait.

Hope so
    Plus fingers are crossed for seed and it is something that can be inherited, really quite pretty.
    It was a bit hot and late in the day but I did sneak a little pollen, hope I've not been too greedy.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I went with a b-wild pink bip, I have a picture I think in the colour thread and a 'Mrs Lei' x Unity F1, a bit complex but when I looked I had no actual varieties blooming.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah yes, the tricksy pink form the crown patch?

Very complex on both counts I should think.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I was being lazy,
      Next one down,
      https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...4553#post14553

Is this offspring from the SF x DBofG/Alderman event?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Observed that too with Unity, Visionary and Scholar. Where Silverleaf and Jayb shared seeds either from the gene bank or only a generation away.. Visionary was tiny, but now twice the size, Scholar was extremely weak and died early after only producing 3 pods, now a normal pea with lots of pods, still early but robust and lots of peas. And Unity got bigger and stronger too. It is sad when this happens with special seeds. It may just be adaptation, but I guess these seeds were greenhouse grown rather than garden grown.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      What a shame, fingers crossed for the remaining seeds. What had you planned to do with them?

We have too many voles and similar here to plant peas in the autumn, so I have a little envy for those who can. Could you grow them in pots and then if fusarium strikes again it won't be in your poly-tunnel soil?

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting Galina, I'd just put Unity down to being a sicky weak plant, but your thoughts make sense. The two Unity F1 crosses I'm growing this year are certainly robust and I would estimate a little over 6'.

I wonder if the plant just has too many things going on and is a bit confused at the moment so to speak? Does anyone know if this can this happen?

I came across a post by R. Fairham (sp?), she has also made a cross of Alderman x Salmon Flowered, but she reports nothing unusual in any of the offspring she's grown (I'll look for the post again and add a link). One thing that has crossed my mind about Salmon Flowered, there may be more than one type circulating under this name, as some flowers pictured are salmony pink and others either pale or quite intense 'pink' from pictures around the forums and blogs.

Edit to add link to Rebsie F. post http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.co...-x-salmon.html
    Last edited by jayb; 29-07-2021, 14:31.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I received some seeds this year from my Italian donor marked as salmon flowered. Somewhere in the midst of lots of wild-coloured flowers there was one which looked somewhat salmon flowered. I thought I had marked it but I can't find the thread now, so I think it has probably slipped throughly fingers!

Fingers crossed for your salmon-flowered.

I think the question has been raised but I might have missed an answer, as to whether salmon-flowered peas are particularly connected with crown growth habit - always? nearly always? sometimes?

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      The variety Salmon Flowered is a pink flowered crown pea and I think the name reflex the 'pinkness' of the flowers which I guess could be described as a salmon coloured pink. As with the other flower colours of peas, a pink flowering pea can be a podding or eat all type whether it be crown/faciated or indeterminate in growth.

A few years ago the only pink coloured pea I'd come across was Salmon Flowered (crown), you just didn't see any others about or at least I didn't find any. A similar tale for crown type peas they were hardly ever mentioned or referenced. I tried for several years to find more varieties.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Had to put this in two comments

Then a few years ago Galina very kindly shared with me the lovely Elisabeth, here was a lovely mangetout with the prettiest of pink flowers. I also came across "Mrs Lei" about the same time, another delightful pale pink mangetout. These three are all pinks but Salmon Flowered has a different tone to it and I guess I refer to some of the pinks I get as salmon flowers or flowered as they reflect this hue more than a pink like flowers of "Mrs Lei".

Crown type peas we now know can come in all sorts of shades of pinks and purples. I think the connection with the colour and crown type peas is most likely due to it being the only available both pink flower and crown type variety you could get your hands on for some time

It was too many words for the comments, annoying!

Interesting about your beans Galina and very true but if you want to try and replicate it, it's not so good.
    I know I'm trying not to jump too far ahead and really if this type of pea flower were possible we would already have them available!

In all honesty, I don't know about Salmon Flowered. I last grew it out I think in 2015 as my seeds were getting older, but whether it was from my saved seed or some sent in a swap I don't know. At the time there was no real reason to think they might be any different from other seeds out there and perhaps they aren't. I often write notes on seed envelopes to go with saved seeds and unfortunately this year I've cleared out a lot of older seeds and packets to cut down and simplify, so I'm unable to check back.

I do have an F1 cross of Salmon Flowered x DBofG growing, I know I wanted to redo this and the Alderman one (but they didn't germinate) to grow them on separately. Again this may or may not be a cross with the same Salmon Flowered line time will tell. I may even have some Salmon Flowered and Alderman growing from a late sowing. I know I wanted to, so I'd have the two crosses from scratch again. will have to check.

I can see why the crown peas were grown for their flowers, I must admit I'm captured by them.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes we did get some in the seed circle too. There is always the possibility to freeze small samples in case they cannot be grown soon, but most peas, especially with non green or beige seeds, last 9 years or longer. Remember Sugar Lord that Goodlife miraculously resurrected after 13 years?

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope so and good idea. I'm not sure how many seeds there will be, I've hardly dared look for now. I've been watering daily but the amazing weather we have been having has had a drastic effect on many of the peas, so after the initial flourish for these the remaining buds have not developed.

One thing I did note, not all of the flowers on this plant gave that different pattern, I think it was around 4 or 5. Other flowers looked quite regular? So whether they all have the potential to carry this forward I've no idea. I guess it might depend on if this is bred or mutation.

Salmon Flowered, you don't happen to know if they were from me, that would be so cool if they were?
      I know I should freeze seeds, I keep telling myself to, I'm not sure why I resist. I think I'm scared (going by my seed cupboard) that I would fill it up and there would be no room for food!!!!!!

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I do remember Goodlife's success with Sugar Lord, she was amazing. I sowed seed earlier this year and had a fun time thinking about her lovely ways and advice. You can imagine how disappointed I was when they didn't germinate for me, I suspect I'd badly saved the seed and or poor compost.
      Came across my Sugar Lord seeds again and have put some in a jar to sprout, fingers crossed although well late.
      Last edited by jayb; 29-07-2021, 08:28.

I forgot to add a few more pics.
    The amount of 'different type colouring' was variable on individual blooms and some had none visible. Kind of reminds me of a raspberry sundae.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2 pink splash.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	14857

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	14858

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Really pretty. Interesting that the colour is so variable. Can you see any correlation to weather? You always manage the best flower colours Jayb.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry no, I have two batches of Salmon flowered, one from HSL, the other from A4A seed circle.
      Last edited by Galina; Yesterday, 11:22.
Working...
X