Elisabeth x Violet Sugar F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elisabeth x Violet Sugar F?

On the theme of sowing older seeds that need using up this year - Elisabeth x Violet Sugar, a cross I made a few years ago.

Growing out they are nothing much remarkable although giving a pretty flower mix of whites, wild purples and a few pinks. I didn't keep the packet so I'm not quite sure but I think these are around F3 or F4.

But this little one caught my eye, a nice pink-flowered, red (pink) on green snap. Not the tallest but doing ok in an overcrowded planting.

It has already set a few pods, one of which I sampled.

Elisabeth just keeps on giving

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4778 Elisabeth x Violet Sugar .JPG
Views:	35
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	14721

Very attractive and a good snap too, which must be gratifying, as I think, from reading back, Violet Sugar is a podding pea.

Are both those pods from the same plant but not from the same node?

Comment

Hmm, perhaps I got that wrong then, but I certainly ate the whole thing! I mean what are the chances of a semi-red podded snap? Will have to go back and have another look.
      It does look like they are growing on the same one but they are from different plants, it's a bit of a jungle.

Comment

That makes me think it might be interesting to combine the lighter red pod colour that comes with pink flowers with a yellow base…

Comment

I've wondered too and I can't quite get my head around what the outcome might be, would the colours just reset to a purple-yellow outcome or perhaps be a little wishy. I'd love to know what you think the potential outcome might be?

A similar type of cross, a pink flowered (Sugar BethF2) x Golden Sweet has wild purple flowers and green pods at F1.

Comment

I’d think you’d get a lighter red than the sort of wine colour you get from the usual yellow+purple combination.

b seems to lighten all the anthocyanins in the whole plant (hence the pink axils) so I’d expect a lighter pod as well.

Comment

Thank you, put like that I think the pods might be quite subtle and charming.
              I wonder too if some could be more orangy looking? Just thinking back to mixing paints at school, though I guess it is a bit different for peas!

Comment

Yes I was thinking a more orangey colour maybe. It’s no good, we’re going to have to experiment! 😂

Comment

A few more pictures from the same plant, pods do seem quite varied.

Name:	IMG_4982.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	14860

Name:	IMG_5062.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	14861

Name:	IMG_5064.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	14862

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They are variable, but lovely colour. Guess that is very watering dependent.

• jayb
                    jayb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you think so, I haven't taken much note I'm afraid. Dryer less colour or the other way around? I just thought they are fade-y (sp) pods, interesting water plays a part.
                Working...
                X