Pea seed colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea seed colours

I have been following up Jayb's suggestion that I might track which of the seeds might actually be from the one salmon flowered plant in a group of plants mostly incorrectly labelled as salmon flowered.

In the photos below, the second shows Rosakrone and Elisabeth for comparison.

The first photo shows the three main groups of seeds I harvested from the mixture I received as salmon flowered. The one on the right is the most sandy coloured and the one on the left, by far the most plentiful, is flecked.

So I'm wondering in a general wayr:
    • whether that kind of speckling in the left group is what is referred to as marbled
    • whether marbled/speckled seed always produces wild coloured flowers
    • what might have caused the line markings in the right hand sandy-coloured seeds
    • whether the black marks on some of the Elisabeth seeds are a sign of over damp conditions or other
    • whether as all the non-speckled seeds in my harvested seeds have black hilums but Elisabeth and Rosakrone don't, I might be doomed to losing the salmon flowered?!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4439.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	15247

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4440.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	15248

On the left there that's antho speckling not marbling. Yes, both show in the presence of A_ but the flowers needn't be wild type, for example Appleblossom/Unity has marbled testa, so does Kool's Langstro which looks white-flowered but I noted this year it has pale pink axils and the faintest pink on the flowers, so likely am is involved.

I've noticed those line patterns on quite a few seeds this year and the couple I've germination tested haven't grown. Assuming it's caused by the wet weather but no idea what has happened within the seed.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. In my photo, Rosakrone seems to have some feint speckling but Elisabeth not at all. Is that how you see them?

• Silverleaf
      Silverleaf commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think Elisabeth has speckles at all.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      No I don’t think so either. I think I misunderstood your comment.

I remember seeing somewhere pictures with similar line patterns fairly recently, I'll see if I can find where. I can't really remember, but in the case of the pictures I saw it was an indication of disease, and to be really helpful, I can't remember what. But as memory can play tricks, the pattern/marks might be quite different if seen together.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this link. It does appear to be very similar to what I'm seeing here. Confusing as I didn't notice any aphid activity.

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Overlooked the fact that it's called a seed-borne virus, so makes sense that the seeds sown were already infected, no aphid activity required. None of the peas with these markings are from seeds that I saved previously, rather, they're from a genebank and swap.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I certainly won’t use those seeds for growing. It’s rather odd though as none of the plants seemed stunted. All seemed healthy, although as it was only on a minority of plants in that cluster, I suppose I might not have noticed a slight lack of health.

Having worried about mosaic virus on beans last year, now pea mosaic virus to consider. Ah well, all in a growing year, I suppose. 😏

Salmon Flowered doesn't have a black hilum.
    I'm sorry I don't have any fresh seed to share with you. I may have a couple of plants on the plot but if I do they are late ones and may come to nothing. Hopefully someone will have some to share.

Gorgeous seed coats on the peas on the left.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I was discarding the seeds on the left as they produced just a wild coloured flower - but they are rather pretty. Perhaps I should give them another chance and get round to taste testing them.
Working...
X