Irish Preans Pea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Preans Pea

It might be a little misleading to post about these in the Heritage section, as the history of Irish Preans doesn't seem to be known other than it came from an Irish Vegetable Research Station. The Heritage Seed Library mentions it thought to be a cross between a pea and a broad bean, but I think this unlikely. It is possible it is a variety they used for breeding purposes or indeed was breed at the Research venue?

I first choose Irish Preans as one of my choices from the HSL in 2009/10. It turned out to be an interesting variety, tall growing 6 foot + with lovely pink/purple flowers followed by a good crop of green podded peas. It's a late cropper although a strong grower. Pods averagely contain 5-6 big fat marrow fat type peas, though they are slightly flattened rather than the normal round pea shape. They do indeed look somewhat like a cross between a pea and a bean! Seeds are slightly wrinkly, mine have turned browny-red with age and if I remember correctly they were green when first podded. Interestingly the hilum is black.

I was a too late sowing these this year, although they grew well it was just too late in the year and pretty much a crop failure for me. I plan on making a better effort with these next year.
    Last edited by jayb; 24-10-2014, 13:53.

I don't believe for a second peas and broad beans could cross. They aren't even the same genus!

Comment

Passed to our donor, David Medd, by the secretary of the Saltburn Allotment Society. The seeds were originally obtained from an Agricultural Research Station in Ireland and thought to be a cross between a pea and a broad bean. They grow to around 8 feet and produce blue flowers followed by medium-sized pods containing 4-5 seeds in each.
      HSL - Adopt a Veg

I don't believe for a second peas and broad beans could cross. They aren't even the same genus!
      I hadn't even thought that bit through, I just got as far as thinking peas and beans don't cross. A shame though it would open up all-sorts of new possibilities!

Comment

Young vines
        Irish Preans pea by jayb 35, on Flickr

Coloured leaf axil

Fading bloom

Young pod

Comment

Working...
        X