Pea Carouby de Maussane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea Carouby de Maussane

Another of the giant podded heirloom peas from France. Carouby de Maussane also has very large green mangetout pods, Also delightful and sweet, but different tasting to 'Bijou'. Impressive on the plate steamed whole! The pods on the picture have 7 and 8 seeds inside, but earlier this year we harvested a few pods with the full complement of 9 seeds. And just look at the width of this amazing pea.

Very large Carouby de Maussane pods.

Comment

They are an incredible size. Is the 9 seeder from the line I sent?

Comment

Yes these were peas from you, from the pod with 9 seeds and I was so pleased to get 9 seeds again. Unfortunately we ate those pods. Never mind, the strain remains able to produce very full pods of massive size. Next year I will go back to my strain and count and compare carefully. Probably grow both side by side and compare, then decide to pool both strains or to keep them separate.

Comment

Lol, I'm glad they were tasty!

Comment

I'm growing these next year, they look really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
              Yes these were peas from you, from the pod with 9 seeds and I was so pleased to get 9 seeds again. Unfortunately we ate those pods. Never mind, the strain remains able to produce very full pods of massive size. Next year I will go back to my strain and count and compare carefully. Probably grow both side by side and compare, then decide to pool both strains or to keep them separate.
              I just came across this picture and thought you might like it for reference. Not the best picture but shows the 9 seeded pod the seeds I sent came from!

Comment

Yay! A good strain yours! And a lovely shot against the light too. Good photographing technique. Is there even a tenth (underdeveloped) seed - second from left?

Comment

There could have been but I don't remember counting an extra one.
                  I took some pictures of Elisabeth x Sugar Magnolia F3 mangetout type yesterday and several look to have 9 seeds in them, must come from Elisabeth.

Comment

Carouby with nine seeds here too - count the bumps

Comment

Nice one, it's huge
                      Is it just the one plant throwing them or several?

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Several, but only the early pods have the full complement of seeds.

Great, glad you found them.

Comment

And this year again - early pods 6 inches plus long with 9 peas inside. Later pods shorter of course, but this is the case with all of the extra large mangetouts. Very happy with these and saved seeds from the 9 seeded pods.
                        Last edited by Galina; 17-07-2016, 15:42.

Comment

Is it expected for some of the seeds of this variety to have a marbled testa?

Comment

Yes, it seems so. My saved seed from last year has quite a significant number of marbled seeds - I'm assuming the ones I've put to the side in the photo are what can be described as marbled. Are your seeds similar to these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9994.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	13072

Comment

• triffid
                              triffid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the photo Jang; yes that's right, about a quarter of the seeds look marbled, the same as those on the left. Was just curious because the pattern isn't mentioned in early descriptions of the variety. I got mine in a swap but the original source was Premier Seeds.

• Jang
                              Jang commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The original source of mine was Premier too, so I guess we take that as inconclusive.
                              In other respects though the plants are as expected as far as I know.
                              Where are you taking your early description(s) from?
                          Working...
                          X