No announcement yet.

Pea Carouby de Maussane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have just looked at my seeds and no marbled seeds at all.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Galina. Would seem current commercial stock is variable.

Description from Trebuchet et al., 1953. VARIÉTÉS DE POIS POTAGER CULTIVÉES EN FRANCE. INRA :

Smooth, rounded, bumpy, brown and olive speckled purple grain, large (350 in 100g), yellow cotyledons, brown and olive speckled purple seed coat, non-contrasting hilum. Pod light green, very large (120 X 30mm), straight, not parchment, containing 7-8 grains; obtuse tip with a prominent style.
      Aside from the marbling, my seeds are not of the size that would weigh 100g with 350 grains. But this can vary season to season.

Comment

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Puzzling as to how the yellow cotyledons can be seen in a pea grain, as the feature seems to come within the description of the seed. Or is this an observation from the germination stage?

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, if there's an English version of the document I don't know about it! But I was considering putting together a translation for my own ease of reference... I won't estimate how long that will take..

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Your translation was so elegant that I thought it had been professionally done! -but could only find the pdf which presumably you worked from.

Yes, slowish work.
        Perhaps we could collaborate, but I don't know to what time-scale I could work either.

To view the cotyledons you just have to file or chip away a small piece of the seed coat.
      Some varieties have translucent testas so the colour of the grain overall is affected by the colour of the cotyledons. In translucent types, if the testa is closely stuck to the cotyledon, the surface of the seed will appear darker than if there is a layer of air between cotyledon and testa. Sometimes you can see both dark and light patches on individual seeds.

Comment

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for unlocking these mysteries. I look forward to experimenting.
    Working...
    X