Court Estate Gold x Purple Podded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Estate Gold x Purple Podded

In 2013 I crossed CEG and Purple Podded.

One pod containing one seed grew into a plant in 2014. F1 fairly short, semi purple pods, plant just under 5ft tall. Plant started deteriorating in July - that's early.

You are making my mouth water, these are going to look stunning! I thought they might be taller though?

Comment

Well the height is to be taken with a bit of caution, because this one was attacked by pigeons. And it is now pretty withered.

I did not comment on the seeds. I think the maximum seed count is only 4 in one or two pods. Less in all others. Mostly 2 seeds. The pods are quite short in the F1 generation. I have opened the driest pod and found only 1 seed. If anything this plant did not seem to benefit from hybrid vigour. Both purple podded and CEG have more seeds.

Comment

Perhaps the pigeon attack left the plant slightly weak so it did not perform as well as it could. 2 seeds per pod seems very meagre for this cross.

Comment

Well I have just planted eight F2 plants. Still plenty of seeds left either for further sowing or for next year. These are very nice looking plants, one already with a branch off the second node. Please gales do not dislodge the protective bottle cloches!

Comment

Exciting! Any noticeable colours in the leaf splodges yet? The pink flowering Sugar Beth F3's all had pink axils. Also in the F2's colour was strongly linked and I was able to pick out the couple of pinks I had. I'm looking forward to your progress
            I really must get started.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina
              Isolating and Pollinating
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              The plants are now big enough to start observing. Thank you for the suggestion to look for pink or purple axil colour.
              Galina
              Last edited by Galina; 04-05-2015, 09:17.

Yeah, you should be able to tell a lot from the leaf axils. These ones will all be purple, assuming CEG has antho.

With plants that have pink flowers because of b, the axils will be pink/red.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Been too busy with other gardening jobs but must start observing. Yes CEG has antho. Thank you for the suggestion to look for pink/red axil colour.

It's cool, lots to learn

Comment

What seems to be happening with the b gene is that something goes slightly wrong somewhere in the antho-making process - a slightly wrong recipe, if you like, and so the antho comes out pink/red instead of purple. That means that everywhere the b plant has antho, it'll be red antho - hence the pink flowers and pink/red axils.

Some other flower colour genes only affect the flower colour itself though, rather than all the antho, and so they show perfectly normal purple in other places.

Comment

Yes, they all seemed to have antho to varying degrees, and if I remember right, a little bleeding into the leaves too. But I paid not much (not enough?) attention to them as I had loads to plant out inbetween squally showers and protecting them from the wind was my overriding concern.

Comment

I am not expecting pink flowers from this cross as neither parents have pink flowers. Court Estate Gold has purple flowers and yellow pods which are larger and a shade more golden yellow than Golden Sweet. I bred CEG from Golden Sweet x Schweizer Riesen (Swiss Giant) as parents. Both purple flowering too.
                  Galina
                  Last edited by Galina; 04-05-2015, 09:21.

Comment

I am growing 8 F2 plants and have photographed Numbers 1, 2 and 6. F2/1 is (I think) with pink axil colour and so is F2/6. F2/5 and F2/8 are not yet out of their bottles, F2/2 has a purple axil spot and a nice double ring (thank you Silverleaf - I can now see it for myself), The others (3, 4 and 7) have purple axil spots.

Already they are planted too close to take decent photographs of each individual plant - ah well. I should still be able to determine easily which plant is which as they grow. Each one has its own bamboo support.
                    Galina
                    Last edited by Galina; 04-05-2015, 13:50.

Comment

Yay, like those double axils!

Comment

Forgot to mention the breeding aim - again a large red mangetout. The two plants with pink are the most interesting out of this batch. Last year I was not impressed with the vigor of the F1 plant. 6 out of 8 F2s are looking as vigorous as other peas in the garden. Quietly confident that this may have been a one-off problem with last year's F1 and not ongoing, but we will see.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Working...
                          X