Court Estate Crescent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Estate Crescent

After getting Court Estate Gold from my first growout of 1 pod of F2 seeds right at the end of the season in 2004 (if I got my year right), I carried on with that variety and ignored its siblings, because I had got what I wanted.

I then grew the remaining F2s a few years later and selected for yellow pods, ate all the green ones and the shelling ones and just kept seeds of yellow mangetout peas. Without much further selection or even much study. I have finally dug out these seeds (from 2008) and this year I am growing them with a little better observation. Most are smaller, shorter yellow pods of not much interest, but this one stands out. I am naming it Court Estate Crescent. Not as wide as Court Estate Gold but a super curvy shape and longer than Golden Sweet. I think this is the prettiest out of the remaining yellows.

I love that shape.

Comment

What is the other parent by the way, I have forgotten?

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you like them. Daddy was Schweizer Riesen aka Swiss Giant.

• Silverleaf
        Silverleaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

It's interesting the amount of variety that shows up. Is it stable, do you know?

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        This is an F4 , chances are it is stable. Lack of observation (other than for yellow) in the past is to blame. Can't say exactly what happened (life happened), but all I did was to select for yellow pods. Even then I missed one of the green ones. Now it's got a name, I will carry on with it and any that don't look like the crescent above, get rogued.
        Last edited by Galina; 12-06-2015, 07:13.

Beautiful shape and complements the lovely colour. Looks a keeper to me

Comment

Just to answer the question whether it is stable. Yes - we have the next generation growing just now. Photo attached

Comment

That's an impressive looking pod. Taste as good as Golden Sweet?

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes they do. A bit sweeter perhaps.
            Last edited by Galina; 05-07-2016, 21:20.

And the next generation. I have never noticed these funny 3 pronged leaves at the base of the stem previouosly. I am sure this trait has a name. Just never noticed before. This time of year is always a big rush to get everything planted and things get overlooked.

Comment

Actually quite a number of my peas have it. Now I have started noticing

Comment

Working...
            X