Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tall shelling pea with non-white flowers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall shelling pea with non-white flowers?

Anyone know of one?

It'd be really useful to have one for my rainbow pea breeding project. The original plan was to keep backcrossing to Telephone to end up with essentially a pea that's identical to Telephone in all but flower colour, but of course I'm introducing the "no antho" a gene every time I do that and complicating things.

Purple would be ideal, and it needs to taste good. I was thinking that one of the old-fashioned varieties would have purple flowers, but I haven't found one so far...

Lancashire Lad or what used to be Lancashire Lad, because it has emerged since that LL should be green podded and the Heritage Seed Library have advised that this is now the wrong LL. Anyway, I have seeds that are drying as we speak. Could be with you asap. Couple more days drying, if any at all, as not completely dry peas will germinate. Let me know.

Comment

• Silverleaf
      Silverleaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Peas arrived safely today. Thanks again, they look lovely.

How do I tell when they are ready to sow?

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Good grief how long does first class post take to your neck of the woods? Never mind, glad they made it. As they are half dried, I would sow them now. Peas do not have to have dried down completely to germinate. I sowed my late ones for this year yesterday at about the same stage of dryness. Just open the pods, maybe another day drying after that if you think they may be a bit fresh. Should there be a germination problem, I have plenty more.

• Silverleaf
      Silverleaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll have a look at them. I've only ever sowed fully dried ones.

Luckily I have a little space in my experimental pea/TPS bed so they can go in there.

That sounds brilliant, thank you!

Comment

Lancashire Lad is a good.
      Some others with purple pods
      Clarke's Betony Blue
      Robinson's Purple podded
      Purple Podded

Stephen's has slightly coloured pods

Green podded and quite a late one is Irish Preans, nice large pea.

Comment

Working...
      X