Mrs Lei (mangetout)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Lei (mangetout)

This is a new to me variety this year, I'm a sucker for pink flowering peas as I think they are just to pretty. From the description I'm not entirely sure if it is a mange-tout or snap type of pea, although it should have pale pink flowers and grow to around 4 1/2 foot. I believe it is a fairly modern variety and Japanese bred?

I started these quite late but I think they will have time to crop and I can't wait to see the flower colour and what type pods they have!

Mrs Lei has a rather pretty double axil ring, it does look 'pink' rather than 'purple'.

Comment

Now that is easy to see. A nice double ring. Yes please more photos as the season progresses and - if possible - pretty please - a few seeds if you have any to spare?

Comment

Will do on both counts

Mrs Lei is earlier to flower than Elisabeth. Both were sown the same day, Mrs Lei is just getting going and has several flowers, Elisabeth is just starting to form buds.
        As hoped Mrs Lei is pink flowered, a pale pink. Just a short wait for pods
        Pictures taken to day between showers!

Comment

Pretty!

Comment

No surprises, pods are green!

Comment

Pods look mangetout rather than snap. Interesting colour. Looks paler to me than Elisabeth (well what Elisabeth flowers look like most of the time! - never mind the whites and the redder pinks ;-))

Comment

The colour is definitely paler than Elisabeth and although they get a little darker as they grow they remain on the pale side throughout. Yes it is looking like a Mangetout!
                I can't believe there are so few varieties of pink peas, I think they are just beautiful - tasty too!

Comment

Well I'm certainly interested in pink-flowered peas, and I think between us we'll end up with some brilliant varieties.

Comment

That would be awesome

Comment

Mrs Lei has cropped well with still quite a few left to pick but mildew is taking it's toll now and affecting some pods. The vines grew to about 5' and flowers are born singularly. The pods are slightly curved when fully mature, with a pointy end and typically contain 8 seeds. The pods have a nice taste, juicy, tender and slightly sweeter than Elisabeth. It's a nice mangetout and one I'll grow again.
                      Last edited by jayb; 20-09-2014, 15:29.

Comment

Some more pictures.

Comment

lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                            lovely!
                            I love pink peas!

I've picked some of the early ones for seed, when they are dry I'll put them on one side ready to send to you, I think you will like Mrs Lei

Comment

Yes please, looking forward to growing them indeed! No arm twisting needed ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X