Puprple splashes on pea leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puprple splashes on pea leaves?

I've just noticed this morning small purple dots and blobs on my F1 yellowXpurple snow leaves. Seem to be randomly sprinkled and dotted across the leaf surface, different on different leaves. I've noticed it on two different batches of F1s with different purple parents.Too dark to take a pic tonight, but will put some up tomorrow. Has anyone else noticed this? and no, its not a disease
    T

I have seen substantial 'bleeding' from anthocyanin in the leaf axils into leaves, but what you describe sounds different altogether. Picture will be welcome.

Comment

Some pics of the purple dots. Click image for larger version

Name:	winter purple snows 011 (Small).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	3278 Click image for larger version

Name:	winter purple snows 012 (Small).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	3279 Click image for larger version

Name:	winter purple snows 014 (Small).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	3280 Click image for larger version

Name:	winter purple snows 013 (Small).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3281 Click image for larger version

Name:	winter purple snows 016 (Small).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	3282

Comment

They look funky, I don't remember seeing anything like that on any of mine, I'll have another look. I've had bleeding out from the axil but those are almost like the antho escaped from where it should be and randomly patterned the leaves. Interesting it's from two batches with a different purple parent. Have you got other purple x F1's without these markings? Could it be environmental, temperatures perhaps?

Comment

they are growing from 2 of the 4 different lines of F1 growouts of yellow X purple, two of the crosses have it, but in different amounts on the siblings within each group, but they all have some dots tho some are just tiny spatters, the third line cross is growing yellow flower buds so obviously isn't a real cross (bummer since it is one i was looking forward to), and the fourth doesn't have purple dots. I'm pretty sure these are both from the same purple parent, but different yellows, Ah, bit tired at the moment, will check records and labels tomorrow. I wonder if I can select for more of this?

Comment

Well that would be unusual indeed and a very decorative trait. I have never seen (noticed) anything like it. It is quite striking and quite different from 'bleeding'. Thank you for showing us.

Comment

Checked the labels this morning. I can't remember doing the crosses, but the labels indicate that the two most spotty ones are probably siblings, Delta Purple 23 X Tall Yellow Snow 2-3-y. Can't remember whether these were from the same plants, or siblings. Since I collected them into different bags, probably sibling parents. A closer inspection showed that my RPC 4-4 (Resistant Purple Chamber of Death) X TYS2-3-2 F1 crosses also have tiny purple dots, but have to look very closely to discern them. The siblings of the parent, RPC 4-4-y which I'm growing out from a bulked sibling group of seed this winter doesn't have the purple dots...
              T

Comment

Go for it, I've no idea if it is a passable trait, they certainly would look different and if you can get an increase in purple splodges.... Plus they might fit in with your plans for these lines anyway.

Comment

Was looking at a couple of other lines growing outside, these are purple snap F3s looking for low fibre, and the stems and leaves are blushed purple with tiny purple spots - again, I'll have to go and get pics to show. Just wondering if this might be a soil thing...I did add a bit of very alkali soil i had lying around - trying to get rid of big pile of it by distributing small amounts across my mildly acidic beds.
                  T

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My soil is slightly alkaline and I have never seen this. I doubt it has to do with the ph level.

will try that again...
                  Last edited by templeton; 14-07-2015, 22:31.

Comment

Got the camera outside - been raining a bit here, hurrah - and one of the growout lines has got the purple splashes as well - maybe this is through a few of my lines, and i just haven't noticed... checkout the mauve tinge on the leaves as well

Comment

The mauve tinge on leaves I am very familiar with. Some of my plants turn bright yellow and even red before they wither. I am in two minds whether I should select away from it, because it seems to shorten the production time slightly. On the other hand it does look spectacular, like tree leaves in autumn.

Comment

these are month old seedlings - might be low temp stress think.

Comment

Yes, possibly a stress of some sort.
                          Those purple splodges are intriguing

Comment

As often happens I may have found something of interest for you Templeton - the Dom gene, Of course I have yet to find what I was actually looking for

http://data.jic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/pgene/Default.asp?ID=786

Comment

Working...
                            X