Golden Sweet and Lord Leicester Tall Pea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Sweet and Lord Leicester Tall Pea

Growing these two this year....wee shoots emerging.

Goodie! Looking forward to progress reports and photos.

Comment

Golden Sweet are so attractive, they really are eye candy. I don't think I've grown Lord Leicester peas, I'd love to know a bit more about them?

Comment

I've grown Golden Sweet for a few years...whole family love them. Pretty pods and we eat most before they get to the house

Ive not grown Lord L before . It's rare and Real Seed have been Trying to save the variety as no longer commercially available..
        I Was attracted by what little info there is on it remarking on health/ long growing season. I also wanted a tall pea.

I debated about planting them as not a lot of comments re taste, except one that says best as a soup pea I We eat a lot of soup and casseroles, so all will be fine.

I did wonder re trying to cross with Sugar Ann but as I haven't grown it before thought that was crossing for sake of it ....and Husband keen we used some space for Czar Runner Bean

I'm looking for a spot to grow a small amount of tasty peas...where does the space go!!??
        Last edited by Hector1; 11-06-2016, 11:03.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Tell me about it! At the moment everything is so lush, the garden resembles a jungle. I am struggling to find places to plant too.

Sugar Ann x Golden Sweet sounds good though, I'd have thought some potentially very tasty and pretty combinations?

Comment

I have some Golden Sweet x Sugar Ann F2s growing right now. So far I have yellow pods, and snap pods, but unfortunately no yellow snaps! A few yellow plants have yet to make pods though, so there's still hope!

I do have a yellow-podded white-flowered plant though, so that's quite nice.

Comment

Lord Leicester sounds so posh. How are they doing now?

Comment

We have no phone line/broadband . Lord L growing well

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope you got to harvest some seeds Hector and got some to eat too.

Im afraid we had personal circumstances that meant we just had to leave crops untended/ uncollected As a contributer to food banks, that makes me feel awful saying that but sometimes " life" gets in the way.

Onward and upward for this season I did collect chilli seed, as could do that in the evenings....with a torch ....and those seem viable....but no peas unfortunately. I am mulling what to do with them this season.

Comment

Did you lose all your seeds Hector? Or the mojo to tidy the pea debris from last year and start again? If you like to grow peas this year , what types did you have in mind? Snap, mangetout or shelling peas, tall or short peas? After that decision is made, the earlier you start sowing the better. It is not too late. Don't worry about the 'waste'. So yes, you didn't eat them, but natures recycles everything and wastes nothing. Good luck for this yeas. Let's hope it makes up for last year's disappointments.

Comment

Fortunately I had a spare packet of Sugar Ann.....I have 20 Golden Sweet.....and a packet of Espoir de Gembloux from HSL and a very very kind person gave me some Winterkefe Mangetout.

Any suggestions over crosses to play with. I should have some old Purple podded.....tto.

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you still have some. Sugar Ann is a snap pea and a cross with Golden Sweet could potentially give you your very own yellow snap pea. I have used Purple Podded and crossed it with a yellow mangetout and have got very good red pods, but not yet red mangetout pods. They are all peas for shelling out and for those pod colour is of course irrelevant. You could well be luckier with your cross between Purple podded and golden Sweet. It is a case of what type of pea would you like to see and then which parents have the traits for that. In the F1 generation grown the year after the cross has been made, all the dominant traits come out, like all plants are tall and no yellow pods etc. And then it takes several years to bring out and stabilise the traits you are looking for. Good luck

Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
                  Growing these two this year....wee shoots emerging.
                  i'm growing both of these as well 😊 As well as Champion of England, Shiraz, Turners Spring and Spring Blush!

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am not familiar with Turner's Spring pea and have just found it in the HSL catalogue. Huge pods with up to 12 peas per pod! I didn't know so many were even possible. I had 11 in Champion of England and thought that was unusual. Looks like Turner's will beat that number of peas in the pod. Looking forward to how they work out for you.

Yes, they were saved from some HSL seeds I got last year. They performed really well and they did have lots of peas per pod, they also tasted lovely with a sweet but nutty flavour

bd

Comment

Working...
                  X