Spring Blush snap peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Blush snap peas

I first grew these a few years back and thought it high time to grow them again. A tall growing tasty snap pea, green pods with a faint blush of red on them. The leaves are very pretty on these too, some plants have the axil colour bleeds into the leaf veins.

The pea pods themselves are lovely to eat and surprisingly large and wider than most snap peas. I wonder whether you will get any doubles, I only had singles. I think I can also spot the hypertendrils on your plants. This is another Alan Kapuler bred pea. And it's a good one again!

Comment

That looks another interesting variety, I love the pink in the leaves.

Comment

Funny you should mention doubles, I was looking at them yesterday to see, one plant only with doubles! Yes lots of hyper-tendrils, I think on all the plants from this batch.
        This is another Alan Kapuler bred pea. And it's a good one again!
        I think he has bred and introduced very good varieties, I've a few growing. I was hoping to narrow my list down to my favourite ones......!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverleaf View Post
          That looks another interesting variety, I love the pink in the leaves.
          Yes it's very pretty, is it down to a gene why the colour spreads in some varieties? It would be lovely to have a variety with pink leaves!

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
            Yes it's very pretty, is it down to a gene why the colour spreads in some varieties?
            Not one I'm aware of, but since I don't have them all memorised I'll try to look it up!

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
              Funny you should mention doubles, I was looking at them yesterday to see, one plant only with doubles! Yes lots of hyper-tendrils, I think on all the plants from this batch.
              Did you grow these from my seeds from the seed circle a few years ago? Or did you get them from elsewhere? If the latter, could I please ask for one pod from the doubles plant. If the seeds were from me, I will just observe until I get a plant with doubles.

I found that although they were all singles, they nevertheless had a lot of pods although I did not count them. The obvious improvement would be to look for doubles. I still think this would be the single most effective selection criterion to increase yield, although I have never counted pods on my plants. But this was the clear suggestion from Ben from Real Seeds. Maybe the plant with doubles does have fewer nodes, because the plant can only sustain so many pods?

Is single/double podding genetic or cultural, Silverleaf? This is also a bit of an issue with Court Estate Gold.

Comment

Not yours this time, a different source. Yes of course a pod from the double.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverleaf View Post
                  Not one I'm aware of, but since I don't have them all memorised I'll try to look it up!

Thank you

I notice Magnolia Blossom also has some pink in the leaves and Purple Podded (I think)

Comment

First flowers are singles

Comment

A few more pictures, they really are a lovely tasting pod. They produced well although ended up with mildew which is always a shame to see.
                      Spring Blush snap pea by jayb 35, on Flickr

Comment

They are so beautiful. And taste very good too. Love Spring Blush.

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Working...
                          X