Sugar Beth F3 Pink Flowered Peas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Beth F3 Pink Flowered Peas

I sowed I think 4 seeds of the first to ripen pink flowered pink red pod plant, 3 germinated although one was a little slow to get going. They have grown on well although a little mildew on the lower leaves. As expected the axil splodges look to be pink and the first flower buds are doubles, yayyy.

Lots of lovely pink flowers and red pods forming, one mangetout, one sugar snap, the pods on the SS are quite small and the third I'm not sure yet, I'll have to investigate later today and hopefully take a few pictures too.

Comment

Here's some pictures of the F3 mangetout.

Comment

This flower/pod combination is very attractive indeed.

Comment

Thank you, I'm hoping there will be time to get some seed saved for next year.

Comment

The third plant appears to be pink flowered with a green mangetout pod, which is a bit of a surprise.

Comment

I had no pink flowered Sugar Beths last year from your F2 seeds Jayb. But I had a few seeds left in case of disaster. Looking at them there are larger green purple speckled seeds and slightly smaller, sand coloured seeds. Guess the sand coloured seeds might be pink flowering? There were 3, which are now sown and we shall see whether that theory is correct. Leaves me with just a few of the other type for next year.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Well this is absolutely true. I now have pink Sugar Beth flowers from the slightly smaller sand coloured seeds at least on one of the plants. One plant is flowering, the others not yet. These were from my later sown seeds, no reflection on Sugar Beth being a late 'variety'. No pods yet. Chuffed!

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Great, come on the pinks! Is it too soon to see pod colour?

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Oops, got a tad excited, just spotted "no pods yet"!

I would expect that the b gene that makes the flowers pink would affect the purple testa pigment as well, making it more red. But of course the testa is maternal tissue so it reflects the genetics of the mother plant.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                These sand coloured b gene influenced seeds were also smaller than the others. Is size also affected by the b gene? The green/purple speckled seeds were larger.

Good thinking both, fingers crossed they are pinks

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, it worked! The same type of seed is in Elisabeth pea and in Pink flowered crown pea. I think a pattern is emerging and you can predict pink flowering from seeds. (until we find a case that does not conform).

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice one, something to keep an eye out for.

That would be good!

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, yes!

Is there any comment you could make on the differences in seed size? Why should the sand coloured seeds be a little smaller? What do differences in seed size mean in general? They are as viable as the slightly bigger seeds.

Please don't get me wrong - pink flowers or not - what I had last year was very exciting! Purple flowers and partially purple snap pods that were just so sweet, like really, really sweet were my favourites. Although I only ate a few pods, they stood out flavour-wise. Size wise they were smaller snaps, but we will see how they do this year. Would also like to freeze a bag as they might freeze really well (she hopes ....).

Those, as well as the lovely juice mangetouts from the Rogue Elisabeth, are keepers from a culinary point of view. Both have been sown again this year.

Comment

I'm very excited to see what you get this year.

Comment

The snap types I had were smaller types too. Lol I get carried away with pink flowers and pods, I think they are so enchanting
                  Finding a variety that freezes well would be special.
                  I MUST get into gear and sort my peas for sending and sowing

Comment

Seeds and pods from last years seeds

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2996

Comment

Working...
                    X