Opal Creek snap pea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opal Creek snap pea

I've grown this variety before but for some reason I have a real blank spot to how they grew and tasted! So far they are doing very well from a late sowing, the first picture was taken on 22/07. The foliage is very pretty, with that lovely yellow tint more prominent as they have grown, although I don't think it is as vivid as Golden Sweet (Opal Creek is a cross between Golden Sweet and Sugar Snap)

Flowering now with the first pods forming.

Comment

I remember that they tasted very good. They were late, but lasted well into summer. Definitely the last ones to perish. I remember reading that Alan Kapuler said they were doing well in Hawaii. Not many pea varieties could thrive in that climate. Picture uploaded shows the crescent moon shaped bright yellow snap peas.

You are in for a treat :-)

Comment

Mmm, they do look good, pretty the way the light catches the pods from behind. Sooo glad they taste good, I did wonder if they were a bit bland, being that I didn't remember how they tasted!
        Perhaps they are one I could try in the poly-tunnel for a late crop, it sounds like they could manage the summer into Autumn temps.

Comment

That might well work, Jayb.

Comment

I haven't many pictures of Opal Creek pods from last year, but the ones I do seem to have both curved and straighter pods as well?

Click image for larger version

Name:	114.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	3202

Click image for larger version

Name:	112.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	3203

Comment

Ok, thanks for that Jayb. So my comparison pod of Opal Creek over on the CEG x Amish snap thread was not a wrong one, just one of the straighter ones.

Comment

I wonder if there may still be a little segregating with Opal Creek, there seems to be with some of his other varieties?

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well none of Alan's varieties are ever intended to be genetic bottlenecks and identical. Not quite like Tom Wagner, but he also doesn't select too tightly, only to 'landrace' criteria (the old definition of landrace), ie genetically a little broader than we are used to but close enough to be one and only one variety.
              Working...
              X