Ten permaculture crops to fill the hungry gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten permaculture crops to fill the hungry gap

A nice video explaining the usefulness of perennial crops for filling the leaner spring months, when winter vegetables are finished and spring vegetables are not yet available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBN4...pNm6NZukg7aHQE

Yes, thanks. Some of her other videos are interesting too.

She includes a perennial kale which she calls ‘Eeuwige moeskool‘. This apparently translates as perennial charcoal? I was wondering how this variety might relate to ones more familiar to UK gardeners but information isn’t easily found.

There’s a rather inconclusive discussion at
    https://backyardlarder.co.uk/2019/04...garden-spring/

I imagine there are quite a few related but slightly different perennial kales known and established in different areas.

Comment

Eeuwige moeskool, is very close to our plain Daubenton, just a Dutch name of a plain green leafed perennial kale that only flowers very rarely. Eeuwige means 'for ever' ie perennial and I guess this is just the type that is widespread in the Netherlands and Germany. Whereas Taunton Dean has purple in it and grows very tall, this one is smaller. Taunton Dean has a bit of an antho flavour because of the purple ribs, this one has been described as 'mild'. As perennial kales go, there are probably many similar varieties. Quite unlikely that it is identical to the french Daubenton, but of no consequence for the user whether it is or not. At this stage different varieties matter less than getting these kales back into cultivation.

The most interesting 'variety' development is this landrace grex which among lovely variation has also been selected for frost hardiness. One problem with all these kales is that they are not a hundred percent reliable in cold winters which is why they are more widespread in coastal areas where it is warmer.

I had a plain Daubenton perish in a cold winter as well as most of the perennial Portuguese kales from HSL. But my one Portuguese kale survivor has been propagated many times from cuttings.

https://store.experimentalfarmnetwor...nial-kale-grex

Last edited by Galina; 05-07-2020, 09:00.

Comment

That’s very interesting. The Grex is very tempting if they ship to UK. It would take a lot of space I think to grow on a good number of plants. I kind of have the space but maintaining it is another matter!

Do you know of anyone who has grown this grex?

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Chris Homanics himself has been developing a small sized half green half pink kale that does not go to flower for several years. He intends in the long run to multiply into many plants and then grow seeds. Saw a picture of it on fb recently. I think we will get some new perennial kales soon that are quite different from the 3 types we are used to.
      Working...
      X